Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm gonna get an FJC when I get back stateside within the next couple weeks. I searched and read a thread from 07, but would like more opinions. I know it's rated for 5k, but is that realistic? Should it be more or less? Any experience with the aftermarket airbags for the rear coils? What's the weak link?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm on my 3rd summer of towing my rig with my 6spd manual trans FJ

The load is around 5k (zuk truggy on a car trailer) and really the only time I run into an issue is if traction is poor (muddy parking lots or a loose gravel steep access road) because the load behind me is heavier than the towrig :p

hard to believe, but i get 13mpg towing regularly with mixed highway/city/hilly country roads. :smokin:

I run a tekonsha prodigy trailer brake controller, and don't have any issues stopping. I don't have any sway issues, so no sway controls on my current setup. I think the short rear overhang of the FJ moves the hitch close enough to the axle to prevent the trailer from pushing the FJ around

·
Registered
291 Posts
Im the friend! Ya I have the automatic and towed my 3500 lb trailer from california to moab and back and didnt even feel it on the hills. With the airbags in back it levels it out good. Without it gets a little slouchy in the rear. I highly recommend airbags for towing with these.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I pull my enclosed trailer, prolly totals above 4k. OME medium springs, tows fine, no swaying, no issues

·
Registered
255 Posts
Im the friend! Ya I have the automatic and towed my 3500 lb trailer from california to moab and back and didnt even feel it on the hills. With the airbags in back it levels it out good. Without it gets a little slouchy in the rear. I highly recommend airbags for towing with these.
Didnt feel the boat either! :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
I say find a truck because by the time you add your weekends worth of gear, tools, buddys, the dog you will more than likely be over the limit. I have a 11K limit I have yet to go over in my F250 but I intend to only tow one rig and bring my tools, buddys, weeks worth of gear and the dog, wife and kid.... You can find old F250's or F350's with 351's or 460's for cheap sometimes and they would be great for what your looking for and the longer wheel base would give you a more stable ride.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The FJ pulls and stop 5000lbs fine. It does not feel as stable as a fullsize pickup though, especially at highway speed, probably because of the wheelbase. Getting the tongue weight dead right is the key.

You will need trailer brakes and a ideally a brake controller with manual override to get the trailer under control if it starts to sway. I don't like the uhaul trailers with their own inertial controllers for that reason.

If you are towing regularly, you should add a tranny cooler.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I just got back from Harlan KY. Pulled 18' car trailer with 4 Honda 4 wheelers on it and had no complaints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts