Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay ive seen alot of tech on putting taco locking diffs into older model housings but nothing really on putting the older diffs into the newer housings. I know it seems bassackwards but my situation is I blew up the e locker diff in my taco and happen to have a fully built 4cyl third member with 529s and detroit locker in the parts pile. I had been planning on gearing the taco anyway and the 4cyl member HAS a locker in it already so I want to swap it in. Anyone know what needs to be modded or if its even worth the effort Im really short on funds and cant afford to buy new parts...thanks in advance

·
Registered
861 Posts
As far as i know all pre-tacoma mini truck diffs are interchangeable (4 and 6 cyl)

A TRD/elocker tacoma axle housing is the same as the pre tacoma housing with the exception of 2 diff studs (they are in a different spot to make room for the locker motor)

Moving the studs to fit a elocker diff in a pre-tacoma housing (or vice versa) is a relatively easy mod.

Non-TRD/non-elocker tacomas have a different differential and housing that will not interchange with any pre-tacoma diffs or TRD diffs

So basically if your 4 cyl diff is from a mini-truck (pre-tacoma) it will fit in your elocker housing if you rework 2 studs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts