Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious as to who has gone through this conversion on to a TJ. I've been looking for info on this swap for about an hour now but haven't found anything real specific. Seems like there was also somebody who had done this conversion to leaf springs but would like to stay with the coils. Can anyone point me to a write-up from somebody who's done this. This seems like a good swap for a TJ 60", change over to a 3rd member, some come stock with 4.10's and possibly 4.56's. For the time being, (read: until I can afford a front axle swap) I would probably just stick with my D30 up front so would it be best to have the 30 changed over to 6 lug or to have the Toy axle changed over to 5 lug or just go ghetto and have mismatched shit?

-=troyman=-

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
you can also get an adapter to switch from the 6 lug to a 5 on 4.5".

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
You would want either an 86-95 truck rear axle (58.5" wide +/- ) or a 95.5+ Tacoma rear axle (60" +/- )

If you shop around for the Tacome axle - you can find one with 4.10's AND an electric locker alread installed.

You could look into a 90+ 4Runner rear axle - but unless the coil buckets happened to line up - it is just more metal you would have to cut off.

As for the wheel pattern mismatch - the *easiest* would probably be for you to find an 86-95 rear Toy axle, and use some wheel spacer/adapters to get the right pattern, and match the width up to what you have now.

Or you could re-drill the flange on the Tacoma axle to 5 on 4.5" - the re *may* be enough room on the flange to go that small, but I cam almost guarantee there is not enough metal on the drum to do it so disk brakes would be on order.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking I will try to hold out for a Tacoma axle with the electric locker, had that on my previous Tacoma and it was nice to be able to just hit that button and listen for the locker. I believe it's also a bit larger ring gear 8.4" as opposed to the previous years. Thanks for the info guys. :beer:

·
Registered
737 Posts
8.4's are not electric locked. The electric locker Tacoma's are the standard 8.0 gear sets.

I would find a V-6, 2wd housing from a pre-96 pickup, and retrofit the post 96 Elocker into it.

Andy

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
Dont forget that v6 2wd tacomas are 5 on 4.5

I dont think you can get the 4.56 gears in that set up though and you def cant get the TRD (elocker) axle.

I run a 96 taco axle with stock 4.56 gears and a noslip locker.

Call Jess at highangle and he can get you a ds adapter

for the brakes i just reused the hardline on the axle i got, bought an extended softline (off a tundra) and made an adapter to go from metric to 3/16 for the soft line to jeep

Dan

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Put a pair of FZJ 80 axles under your TJ just to spite the PIG owners:D

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Are you guys suggesting a 2wd axle housing sure that the width will be there for him? I don't know for sure - but I would bet the 2wd is narrower...

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
DRM said:
Are you guys suggesting a 2wd axle housing sure that the width will be there for him? I don't know for sure - but I would bet the 2wd is narrower...
the tacoma v6 2wd truck uses the 8.4 taco axle (60") just like the 4wd one, only the 2wd v6 has the same lug pattern as a Jeep.

http://home.off-road.com/~bibelheimer/diffs/diff_info.html

"Tacoma & '96-up 4runner front IFS~ ???, rear axle- 60"

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good info guys, I didn't know that the 2wd version had a 5 on 4.5.

So then from what I'm getting here (correct me if I'm wrong) I should be able to get the axle minus the 3rd member from a 2wd V6 '95.5+ Toy and then be able to transfer the 3rd member from a 4wd taco with the TRD locker, and retain the 5 on 4.5" is this correct? When all is said and done I want to run 4.88's in there but be ready to bump to 5.29's once the front end is changed out and change to 36's.

From Erik's Toy 4x4 Pages http://home.off-road.com/~bibelheimer/diffs/diff_info.html#rear

Tacoma 4x4's (and V6 4x2's), T100 (4x4 and 4x2), Tundra and Sequoia (4x4 and 4x2) use a larger 8.25" 2-pinion diff that uses larger mounting studs (10mm w/ 14mm nuts vs. 8mm w/ 12mm nuts) and a slightly larger diameter bolt pattern (about 1/4" larger) than the 8" 4cyl or V6 diffs. It also has a large one-piece carrier bearing cap (or "truss") that bridges over the ring gear to add strength. The axles that fit into these diffs are the same size as the earlier 8" diffs (30 spline). Most people call this diff the " 8.25" diff."
Aftermarket parts have so far been fairly limited for this diff. At this time, the only LSD available is the expensive TRD/Kazuma clutch-type LSD and the only lockers available are the Powertrax "Lock-right" and "No-Slip," as well as the recently released ARB Air Locker.
This diff cannot be fitted to an 8" axle because of the larger mounting bolt pattern and more space inside the housing necessary to accommodate the large bearing caps.
* 4Runners do NOT use this diff at all. Late-model 4Runners still use the V6 8" diff.
UPDATE: Formerly I had heard that this diff had an 8.4" ring gear and called it the "8.4 diff"... turns out its actually 210mm, which is ~8.25"...

From Erik's Toy 4x4 Pages http://home.off-road.com/~bibelheimer/diffs/diff_info.html#rear
A factory option on 3rd Gen. 4Runners, Tacoma 4x4's, and Tacoma PreRunner 4x2's is an electric locking rear differential. This diff is a 4-pinon design based on the Turbo/V6 8" diff and uses the same gear sets.
These locking diffs can be retrofitted into 8" diff axles if the axle housing is modified (see this article for more info). It cannot be easily retrofitted into an 8.4" axle housing because the mounting bolt pattern is different.

Dozernad, are you running the 2wd version then or the 4wd and in a YJ or TJ?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Incorrect. To get an E-locker and 5 on 4.5" you must use a pre 95.5 2 wd axle (5 on 4.5"), then retrofit it to use a post 95.5 TRD locker. You will need to drill and tap a few holes to the housing. The post 95.5 TRD axle is a standard 8 in ch unit that accepts gears all the way to 5.71.

Post 95.5 E-locker center sections (8 inch) WILL NOT fit into post 95.5 non E-locker housing (the 8.25 inch).

Andy

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so back to 6 on 5.5 it is then... oh well, I'll be ready for the waggy 44 eventually then.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I got the E-locker on my 8" and all pro diff armor. I changed my rear wheels to 6 on 5.5" and bought one wheel adapter for the spare.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey TOYJ-7, did you do all the leaf spring fab work, or did you take it somewhere? I saw on your website you were planning on moving the axle back a couple of inches, did that happen? Where about in CA. are you, I'd like to check out what you did on your rig if you're somewhat local - that's about exactly what I'm thinking of doing on my '97 TJ.

·
Registered
571 Posts
troyman said:
Hey TOYJ-7, did you do all the leaf spring fab work, or did you take it somewhere? I saw on your website you were planning on moving the axle back a couple of inches, did that happen? Where about in CA. are you, I'd like to check out what you did on your rig if you're somewhat local - that's about exactly what I'm thinking of doing on my '97 TJ.
Yes I did the work my self a long with my friend and my Dad. My friend did the welding for me. I probably would have kept my D44 and did the long arms on the rear if I had to take it somewhere(it would have cost too much). I am @ about 96" wheel base. I was @ 92" wheel base with RE 4.5" lift. I love the rear leafs. I am in Fremont, CA. The leaf converation only cost me about $400. My leafs are toyota leafs. I need to update my web site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts