Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the therad started in chit chat....thread

ok i have decided on a toy pickup...(hard to do seeing how i have had jeep all my life) but the simple truth is that i have never seen a rig that you could beat on as hard as a toy and still drive it everyday. the thing is i don't know what to get. i have about 6g's and was wanting a good DD. what year is the easiest to SAS? what year is the best motor? i was looking at the early 90's with the newer body style x cab 4x4. i want to be able to eventually upgrade it to make it a crawler. so what is a good base? i don't want a 80's with a solid axle the look gay and i don't like the interior (important on a DD)

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
I have an 89 SR5 ext cab, 22RE - great truck. The 89 and newer have a better intake plenum and TB than the older 22RE. I use mine as a DD and I like it way better than the 86-88 trucks.

The 89-91's are all Japanese-built. Go for one of those. With $6K you can easily find a kickass Toy and have money left for mods. Don't get an SR5 - different trans/tcase and no aftermarket support because they suck nuts.

Hef

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
I just sold my 96 Taco for less than $6k.

Easy to SAS, although I have no comparison. Down to cookie-cutter process. Better motor than a 22re, just as reliable, much more powerful.

Costs a touch more to put duals on it, but you can do it.

It's newer. More comfortable, wider, safer. But they're not well-liked around here, so if that's important to you...

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
Chrisjeep7 said:
whats wrong with tacomas? splane:confused:
Nothing that I know of. The Tacoma Territory guys are terrified of this place though. :laughing: Seriously though, the IFS has been bagged on extensively (isn't all IFS though?), and it actually has R&P steering.

But you're going SAS? Then what's the diff?

I loved the damn thing, once I realized what I had. It was my 4th toyota 4x4 too, so it's not like I didn't have background.

Check
this guy out, he's a straight shooter, wheels hard, and has great info. I can't recall if he's running a crawler yet but he's got links to those that do. :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
try a 85 toyota witha 22RE

Theres nothing wrong witha 20R . My worn out 20R would outrun a 22re uphills and still get over 27 mpg

·
Registered
27,624 Posts
Hef said:
Don't get an SR5 - different trans/tcase and no aftermarket support because they suck nuts.

Hef
Really???? The SR5 is an upgrade interior and exterior accent package, has nothing to do with tranny and tcase. I think you meant to say Don't get the 3.0 V6. It has a different tranny and tcase, but can be adapted to run a 4cyl cralwer setup.

I would get a taco, if you can find one in your $$ range, if not, I like 3rd gen pu's

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
Chrisjeep7 said:

my buddy has sone and it will hardley move his toy....
It's the old SFA toy vs IFS toy debate.

IFS toy, you're going to SAS. With it, you're more likely to find a 22re with it's obvious advantages, and the tranny that goes with it. Wider rear axle.

SFA toy, you've go built-in axle humps in the front of frame, obviously a SFA built in. But, you'll have to scrap the entire steering system anyway, maybe get a 2nd gen rr axle.

Should be pages and pages of fighting over that one. :)

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wilson said:

Really???? The SR5 is an upgrade interior and exterior accent package, has nothing to do with tranny and tcase. I think you meant to say Don't get the 3.0 V6. It has a different tranny and tcase, but can be adapted to run a 4cyl cralwer setup.

I would get a taco, if you can find one in your $$ range, if not, I like 3rd gen pu's
so i want a 4cly (i never thought i would say that:flipoff2: ) toy? what is worng with 92-before taco's?

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
Chrisjeep7 said:

so i want a 4cly (i never thought i would say that:flipoff2: ) toy? what is worng with 92-before taco's?
Tacos started in 95.5. The 3.0 V6 had a head gasket problem, which Toyota replaced for free. But, the 3.0s never seemed to live as long as the mighty 22 series.

With 150 measly horsepower, why even have one? The 2.7 in the Taco has 150 horse, and that motor may be as reliable as the 22s.

So pre-Taco, you have 22r and 3.0V6. In the Taco you've got the 2.74cyl and 3.4 v6. The 3.4 v6 in the Taco seems to be a good motor, but they have gone bad. Both have supercharger options that bolt in.

Tacos have chain-driven xfer cases. So if you want to crawl, you gotta dual with an older toy case.

This entire website is a great source of reference info on the technical details of Toy drivelines. Kinda like how the tractech site is good for referencing axles. Read his product showcase.

·
Registered
27,624 Posts
Tacos didn't come out until '95. A 3rd gen 4cyl truck will have the tcase you need to do a crawler. If you buy a truck with the 3.0. you'll need to buy 2 4cyl cases, a dual case adapter and a V6 adapter for the tranny to forward tcase. Myt ruck is a '92. I love it.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so its a 89-94, 22re, 5 speed, 4x4, x cab that i want. are all x cabs short bed? what is the wheel base of a x cab short bed compared to a short bed reg cab? sorry for such newbie questions but i dont know anything about toy's except they are bulit proof in stock form.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.