Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done it? My wrangler currently has 350/sm465/d300 and full widths. I'm not all that into the full widths and a have a set a toy axles that could go in it.

My thoughts are that the come stock with 4:10s and are pretty strong.

Any else have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
413 Posts
In the new JP, they tested out a Toyota birfield (dont remember which brand) against other stub shafts. Evidently the Toyota birfield was stronger than a Dana 60 stub shaft. Now the question is, why arent more people running Yota axles? And what is a good Yota to get them from? I have seen a couple guys run 8" Yota rears with 35's with no problems, and have heard of people running 39's on them but havent seen it personally.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
It can be done. the fronts are pretty narrow from a mini truck. Rear mini truck axles are immensly strong for the size. last years buggyhad a waggy 44 front w/warn/super joints. and a stock yota v6 rear.
this years is a mini truck (taco) rear and an fj 80 front. e lockers in both ends. Big clearence w/40's

will get chromo rear shafts and the new longfield chromo 80 birfs/inners hope this helps.

dave

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Coiled88YJ said:
In the new JP, they tested out a Toyota birfield (dont remember which brand) against other stub shafts. Evidently the Toyota birfield was stronger than a Dana 60 stub shaft. Now the question is, why arent more people running Yota axles? And what is a good Yota to get them from? I have seen a couple guys run 8" Yota rears with 35's with no problems, and have heard of people running 39's on them but havent seen it personally.

The birfields they were testing were "Longfields", it's what basically all the toyota guys are upgrading to. Longfields up front and stock rears, you'll have no problems with 36 - 38 tires. If you got the coin, these axles can be built to handle 40's easily.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good to me. With selling my old axles I can upgrade to the longfields. also thinking of going to a TH350 and toy cases just to keep it simple for drive shafts.

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
I have been running a Taco rear (60" wide) in my YJ for 3-4 years now. I beat on my jeep pretty good, with both 33's and 35's, not the biggest tires, but trust me I get on it hard. I found one with stock 4.56 gears and threw a no slip in it.

GReat ground clearance and it has yet to flinch at anything I have thrown at it. I have gone threw a few sets of bearings but they are cheap enough that I dont care.

up to 85 they were 55" wide, 85 to 94ish they will be 58" wide and the tacoma ones are 60" wide.

All very doable in a jeep.

Not to mention the Ebrake set up on at toy rear is SUPER simple to hook up. Both sides have levers on the backing plate. I just ran some steel cable to the Pass side one, welded on an eye bolt on the Drivers side to loop it through and hooked them up to hte stock Jeep e brake cables via cable clamps.

Holds great and took all of 45 minutes and $10 to do

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the spring perch centers on a toy? And a 44? I'm wondering if the toy will bolt right in.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
8" ring gear behind the power of a v8 is a bad idea imo. Seen way too many broken toy r&p's behind 22re's to believe that having one behind a v8 is going to go well.

Forgot. The 27 spline longs dont seem to cut it. Good buddy of mine has gone through at least 4 of them on 35's with a 22r. 30 spliners seem to be holding up good though

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I've got a toy v6 rear in my jeep with 350chebby th350 dana 300 combo and I'm running 38 TSL's with no problems. I'm running a full spool to keep it as strong as possible, with stock shafts and stock toy gears. I have a front waggy 44 with youkon shafts and have been happy with my setup.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm in the process of swapping both toy axles in my YJ from a donor HDJ80 (FZJ80, but diesel) both 30 splines, both elocked from factory, but 3.75 the ratio. :shaking: (and no other choices here)
This 97's axles came with coils (good, cos i'm going 3 and 4-link), but the position of the coilseats are exactly the same as the spring perches of the YJ.
The width are damn good so i can run stock and cheap weels but maintaining the width my 8x15 ARs gave before.

You can follow the build at: http://www.jeepy4x4.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=53&start=0 but spanishs the language :flipoff2:

Notice that I rotated the front axle to have the drives side input and preserved my Genuine Jeep driveline! :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
demasters said:
My wrangler currently has 350/sm465/d300 and full widths.
SORRY FOR THE THREAD HI-JACK

How long is your rear driveshaft? when you adapted the 465 to the 300 what kit did you use? and did the rear output/adapter get tossed? Reason I ask is because I'm currently running the 465/205 combo and thinking about putting my D300 behind the 465 (cheaper option to get lower gearing in the xfer with the D300). The original adapter between the 465 and 205 is huge and I want to get rid of it!!! Any kits out there that replace the rear put shaft of the 465 with a shorter version and adapter that can be clocked? sorry no redstar so can't search on here!- thx

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can measure tha drive shaft tomarrrow. I'm pretty sure you will have to lengthen it. I have the advanced adapter, I don't remember changing the output shaft of the tranny. yes the adapter between the 465 and dana300 got tossed. They sell for about 50 buck here, very pron to cracking.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
I remember Grady of Ex- Grady's Extreme winning a Top truck challenge with a 8 inch V6 toy rear running behind a Chevy V8. he had 38 SXs and did very well with a 4 link rear suspension. I had an 88 Toy pick up with dual ultimate cases and 5.29 welded third member. It crawled at 223 to 1 ratio. Never had a problem with axles breaking. My current 87 YJ broke a few stub shafts in the big Dana 60 with 38.5 SXs and I hit the pumpkin a lot. Plus I have more ground clearance under my 4runner with toy axles and 35 MTRs than my 69 Early Bronco with 60s and 39.5 Iroks. I really like the toy axles for simplicity, 3rd member etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
demasters said:
pretty sure i can't read that, but thanks
But you can take a look at the photos... :p
If you cant see them, try between 9 and 24 hours GMT+1, sorry got a sad server. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rapoza said:
But you can take a look at the photos... :p
If you cant see them, try between 9 and 24 hours GMT+1, sorry got a sad server. :laughing:

Ya there was nothing but x's. I'll look again

·
Registered
183 Posts
demasters said:
Ya there was nothing but x's. I'll look again
Ok, I'll leave the server all the night on. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
i run a yota 8" in the rear on my jeep with a 4.0, chrome moly shafts on 37" claws. ive beat on it a bit and its holding up great. 7 trips to paragon later and no problems at all :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts