Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats up fellas, I'm just doing a little feeler here, checking prejudices and so on.

The topic of swapping Toy axles under a Jeep was brought up on a local board and the nay-sayers jumped on it right away. They said the old thing, "Jeeps and Toys are enemies... For shame, etc".

I really don't see anything wrong with it. Building a four wheeler is about innovation right? Whats the big f***ing deal? Putting Chevy or Ford or Dodge parts togther under an AMC should be just as big of a deal right? Hell they're all rivals.

Sorry to rant but I'm tired of this chit. Opinons fellow Jeepers?

·
Registered
831 Posts
ghettojeep said:
Whats up fellas, I'm just doing a little feeler here, checking prejudices and so on.

The topic of swapping Toy axles under a Jeep was brought up on a local board and the nay-sayers jumped on it right away. They said the old thing, "Jeeps and Toys are enemies... For shame, etc".

I really don't see anything wrong with it. Building a four wheeler is about innovation right? Whats the big f***ing deal? Putting Chevy or Ford or Dodge parts togther under an AMC should be just as big of a deal right? Hell they're all rivals.

Sorry to rant but I'm tired of this chit. Opinons fellow Jeepers?
If you're going to swap axles, why swap in junk that's weaker than a Dana 44?

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
as far as fronts go i would stand clear of toy and birfs... but i beat the hell out of my toy rear and love it

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Re: Re: Toy axles under a Jeep.

Outshined said:

If you're going to swap axles, why swap in junk that's weaker than a Dana 44?
Or why don't you stop spewing bullshit?

Is this thread a joke?? You're a fucking idiot. Toyotas and Jeeps aren't even made in the same country, and they sure as hell don't look at all alike:rolleyes:. How the hell would you put axles from a toyota onto a jeep??? Unless you found a toyota jeep or something..I think their called landcruisers or something.

:blackflipoff: How the fawk does this same dumbass question get asked twice in the same week?? :blackshaking: I must not understand...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
SHEESH, listen to all the BS!!!!! The downsides to built Toy axles are the width(thats what spacers are for, and can change the bolt pattern at the same time if neccessary), and turning radius when built. Lets think about the plus's.(To the crack smoker with the D44 crack)
1. Steel housings much easier/stronger to weld anything to than cast center.
2. Hella lot cheaper to purchase, and when built comparibly will also come in a WHOLE lot cheaper, IE Toy-Longfield treated birfs, 4340 inners, locker as oposed to Dana-Warn 4340s, and CTMs (Granted the Dana will be a bit stronger, not much)
3. Weight advantage to Toy
4. Ground clearance advantage to Toy.
5. Dropout thirds.
6. Toy u joints, WAY stronger than any 1310 or 1350, and way more flex.
7. Kingpin knuckles (cause I hate balljoints!)
Just my opinion, but it seems a fairly slow cost, viable alternative for replacing stock D30/35 JUNK. For the entry pricetag for a built D44, Id go 60, and upgrade as needed (use stock axles with the locker etc.)

FYI- Depending on the gear ratio needed, you can get brand new factory assembled selectable locker hi pinion and v6 third members from several vendors on this board for cheap (less than 800 each, 4.10-4.56, and he suppplies a low cost switch kit for selection, like $75. Try that with the arb, setup, new bearings, gears, housing, yolk, and air compressor):D

Dude, I have both a Toy and a Jeep and I love both. Either the diehard Toy fans or Jeep fans who would bad mouth the other just probably got out wheeled by someone in the opposite vehicle. (someone being the key word):D

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Toy axles under a Jeep.

braxton357 said:

Or why don't you stop spewing bullshit?

Is this thread a joke?? You're a fucking idiot. Toyotas and Jeeps aren't even made in the same country, and they sure as hell don't look at all alike:rolleyes:. How the hell would you put axles from a toyota onto a jeep??? Unless you found a toyota jeep or something..I think their called landcruisers or something.

:blackflipoff: How the fawk does this same dumbass question get asked twice in the same week?? :blackshaking: I must not understand...
dude what are you talking about:confused:

No. I would not swap toyota axles in a jeep. usually when one swaps axles, they tend to go bigger, not smaller.... if your gonna swap a D44 (if thats what you have) go bigger like ah, hmmmm.... was was it called again?... oh ya... a 60!:flipoff2:

EDIT: oh and yes your correct, its bad to put a toyota axle in a jeep, especially a AMC CJ... its kinda like replacing your 4.2 or 304 with a 22RE, that will definetly make you look :rainbow:

dont be that guy.....

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I dont think he swapping a D44 for a Toy axle (definitely not worth the trouble), I think its the old D44 vs. Toy axle argument.

Forgot to mention BLING 300M axles from PIG that are WAY affordable compared to any Dana stuff.:D

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Toy axles under a Jeep.

KarmirXJ said:

dude what are you talking about:confused:

No. I would not swap toyota axles in a jeep. usually when one swaps axles, they tend to go bigger, not smaller.... if your gonna swap a D44 (if thats what you have) go bigger like ah, hmmmm.... was was it called again?... oh ya... a 60!:flipoff2:

EDIT: oh and yes your correct, its bad to put a toyota axle in a jeep, especially a AMC CJ... its kinda like replacing your 4.2 or 304 with a 22RE, that will definetly make you look :rainbow:

dont be that guy.....
I'm basically talking about what JSLAMERMAN just posted about the toy axles being a better choice than the D44, contradictory to what outshined's dumbass just said. The rest was sarcasm. I know you saw the blacktext when you quoted me...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Well, I judt finished swaping in my Toy axles under my AMC CJ-7. It wasn't hard, and it seems to work well. I'll go find the other post to see if there are any intelligent comments there, as there's only about one post with any usefull insight here (jslammerman).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Some guy in CA has a killer coiled OD green flatfender on Toy axles thats been in a couple of the 4x rags. I tried to purchase Brandons early CJ that has some frame work and Toy axles, but he understandably changed his mind when the price got so low. I think an early flatfender with a boxed frame, some wheelbase extension and a strong 4cyl, or lighter v6 would be awesome!!

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
jslamerman said:
I dont think he swapping a D44 for a Toy axle (definitely not worth the trouble), I think its the old D44 vs. Toy axle argument.

Forgot to mention BLING 300M axles from PIG that are WAY affordable compared to any Dana stuff.:D
I'll bet you a box of Entemann's cookies that someone could spend $200 on super-birfs of indiscriminate source and run a toy axle almost as long as (if not as long as) a d44 with $800 in bling shafts and CTM's without breaking.

besides you can trip over 4.56 geared toy axles in the yards without looking, try finding a d44 with the same ratio.

strength: agruable, but DAMN close

bang for the buck: Toyota

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Who exactly are u arguing with??? I agree wholeheartedly, I was just saying if u alread HAD a D44, its more trouble than its worth. I dont understand why more hardcore Toy 4 wheelers here in Tex arent upgrading their Toy stuff, instead of just constantly replacing broken stock junk with more soon to break stock junk, as the aftermarket parts available are SO strong and SO cheap!!??

·
Registered
888 Posts
Toyota..:confused: Could someone explain the advantage over using Dana? Unless you got them free, and have nothing but metric tools.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
4x4 Pete said:
Toyota..:confused: Could someone explain the advantage over using Dana? Unless you got them free, and have nothing but metric tools.
Dude, its been explained a few times already in this thread. The ONLY downfall I can see with the toy axle is the fact that AS OF NOW the dana can be built a bit stronger. That and the fact that toy R&P's seem to be weaker. In the rear I would say the toy is way better.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yeah, you hear alot about stock D44 shafts break, not alot of stock Toy rears breaking. If I were a homebrew artist, with say a 4 cyl TJ being built for the trail, I would def install some Toy stuff just for the ablility to weld onto the housings. Ud just have to use spacers/offset rims to widen them. Considering a homebuilt job, I cant see how this couldnt be done for incredibly cheap, as opposed to any other alternative.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
jslamerman said:
Who exactly are u arguing with??? I agree wholeheartedly, I was just saying if u alread HAD a D44, its more trouble than its worth.
sorry, my mistake

a combination of my inability to read and your bad grammar ;)

btw, I think the BEST bang for the buck is slapping a set of FJ 80 axles w/ e-lockers under a CJ. Esp. now that you can get super birfs for them. the rear is like a 9.5" ring gear and the front is a RC like a Ford.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
btw, I think the BEST bang for the buck is slapping a set of FJ 80 axles w/ e-lockers under a CJ. Esp. now that you can get super birfs for them. the rear is like a 9.5" ring gear and the front is a RC like a Ford.
ABSOLUTELY. The challenge is finding them for cheap,and stuff like hi steer is NOT cheap, and the knuckles need sent to OTT in canada for the hi steer arms. If u were using them on a TJ, Id use the stock steering arms, and youd be ALOT stronger than any 1/2 ton stuff.
PS Only part in front that would be stronger would be the bigger birfs, as the third members I referenced above are the same, and have an 8 inch ring gear, and are hi pinion. The rear would have the larger ring gear, but the rear pumkin would be offset, though. It would be full float:D (most years, several slipped in without)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts