Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 12 pages of searching (yes, i know there is a seach button :flipoff2: )with nothing on what I am going to do, I figured I'd post up.

I got a '77 K5, 1-ton, x-over blah, blah, blah (you've read it 1000 times over)

I am seeing the short falls of the width of the body. I want to go to a s-10/toy cab, but i settled on a toy cab since they are so damn common. The weight savings, have FW axles, the stout frame and better visability sell it for me.

I know 350/350 combo's get swapped into Toys all the time, but would a body go easily over one on a FS frame?

I know I'll have issues with the length of the front of the frame, the trans tunnel and other various fitment problems. But making my own body mounts, is there something I am missing?

Advice, rumors, theories, etc. appreciated! :beer:

·
Registered
720 Posts
zakk said:

is there something I am missing?

Adapting chevy steering to Toy column.

Chevy brakes to toy mastercylinder or chevy mastercylinder to toy firewall/ pedals

Wiring.

If you're gonna do it, mount the cab a little farther back than stock so that you have plenty of clearance between the tires and the firewall without massive lift.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I believe Rockstomper sells a GM master cylinder that fits a toyota brake booster or perhaps the booster comes as well, but at least I know that's easy to deal with from him so check that site.

Steering...seems that would be pretty easy. Both chevy and yota's use basically the same type of removable steering shaft design from firewall to box (to the best of my memory), so if you can fab body mounts, that shouldn't be much of a prob either.

Go for it!

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Thousands of Tennessee rednecks with 3 teeth have done this. I don't see why you won't be able to.

IMO, I'd rather have the Toy cab and frame with the 1-ton drivetrain in it, for even greater weight savings. Besides, the "stronger frame" you quoted isn't even full boxed. I've always hated fullsize frames. :shudder:

But yeah, shove the cab back a foot so you can run about zero lift and 44s. Kind similar to what Scott Ellinger did with that mantis Toyota of his, except without the 22R. ;)

This one is right next to the hill I first flopped on.

For good measure, here's DRM in that ex-showtruck he bought. DRM, you didn't mention it was cherokee hill you (thought) you popped your first Birf on. I went up it twice. Second time it was wet & dark. (Should be a flipoff2 here, but I've already used up all 8 images in this post)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Anybody know where there are more pictures of cab-trucks / hybrids...or whatever people want to call them?

I'm really looking for some with tractor tires.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
man this is a sweet thread, FOR ME TO POOP ON! here are some white trash pics for ya guys

if only you guys could have seen this thing!! lol 2" body lift, and 1/2ton axles:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
oh wait :) i do have more white trash..

why not just use a station wagon!?!

here it is!! hahhaha

man these are pretty sweet!! NOT!

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Hey, at least that last one is on a link suspension, and not 24" lift TANK-FLEX leaves.

Seriously. Here's the scenario: People like Brimy come in and bitch about this thread, keeping it floating at the top for a week even though Zak will build it anyway.

Or, now that Zakk has his info, we all leave this thread the hell alone and let it die.

HEY! THAT THREAD I HATE IS STILL AT THE TOP! I BETTER GO VOICE MY DISPLEASURE AND KEEP IT AT THE TOP!:shaking:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not raggin on ya brimy311 but I feel there's a big difference between a hybrid and those things you posted. The pics you post were trucks and even a car rigged with a 2 foot bodylift and lots of gay crap. A hybrid,though not the prettiest things in my opinion,usually consist of ton drivetrain, a small cab to sit in and 40"er's or bigger. They don't look real slick but they go like nobodies business,if you like full throttle assaults. I have seen several hybrid at Tellico that were done up real nice and not just a bunch of dog poo thrown together.

To answer the question of the thread though,like stated above,shove the body back about a foot to clear the tunnel a little better. You could make a steering shaft the has a Toy end at the cab and Chevy end at the box. Wires are confusing to me but I say just move everything from your Chevy into the Toy cab. As far as brakes I will probly have to do something with mine for my Dana 44. You might find some info here..........

EricB's Sooopa Tech Site

There's alot of good info there. Erics site has helped me a bunch with my build up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
brimmy is just jelous because all those "hillrod" trucks would OWN!!!! his yota. last i heard running camo was hillrod..

so whats the problem????? CABTRUCKS RULE!!! brimmy go down south to some real trails and watch those hybrids OWN what you wish that birfeild rig could even attempt :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
well basically a HYBRID is anything that takes 2 different things (in this case frame and d-train) and mating them...

so actually a station wagon on a suburban frame IS the same things, so is an s-10 on a 1 ton frame... so there really ISN'T much of a difference between brimy's pics and what is being talked about here...

the station wagon was put on there and runs 44's so was that s-10.... thats the exact same thing as putting a cab on a ton frame/d-train

and who says the best wheelin is 'down south' sure if you all about runnin through muck fields.... go out west and im sure brimy will show ya a few things w/ his yota...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Holy Crap guys...... If you got a torch and a miller, then it's all good. I just don't dig the toyota body/crap, cuz they're rust buckets. I'd wheel with ya, though.
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Not having a boxed frame would actually be a big advantage in mud and road-salt country. It's a lot easier to keep it somewhat clean.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,008 Posts
TNToy said:
DRM, you didn't mention it was cherokee hill you (thought) you popped your first Birf on. I went up it twice. Second time it was wet & dark.
FYI - I didn't pop a birf - the carrier bearing cap came loose and pulled away from the pinion.

It would have been easy in my blue truck... not that impressive to have made it up :p

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
VT_Toy said:
Check out the missing right front lower shock mount on that red Toy :eek: So that's the key to flex, huh?
I think i remember that picture from a thread a while back. He was saying something about the shock mount breaking and something else, can't remember.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts