Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone here know who to see about replacing the Toy knuckles with Dana 44 type ends? I want a better turning radius, and this seems to be the way to get it. Trying to make up for the stretching of the wheel base, and it gets rid of the $100+ knuckle rebuild kits and the Birfs as well.

Kinda like Trail Toughs 'Big Suzana', but with a Toy chunk.

Thnx

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
That is what scwafish has. I am sure he will chime in here soon.....

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Orionn said:
Does anyone here know who to see about replacing the Toy knuckles with Dana 44 type ends? I want a better turning radius, and this seems to be the way to get it. Trying to make up for the stretching of the wheel base, and it gets rid of the $100+ knuckle rebuild kits and the Birfs as well.

Kinda like Trail Toughs 'Big Suzana', but with a Toy chunk.

Thnx

All-Pro Offroad

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yea SCWAFISH has one, it was made by ALLPRO, but they dont make it any longer. And want BIG $$$ to tool one up for me. :(

I have talked to 'Fish already 'bout it :(

I was hopeing that someone on the board could build it for me, Like ahhhhh........

Brent!!

Yea that the Ticket....... Brent!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Holy Shit! Those All Pro D60/Toy hybrids are $4,400!! Without a 3rd member!! Makes Brents Big Suzana one hell of a good deal. His are 1/2 the price, probably 20% lighter, and they come with a a Sidekick third AND an ARB for around $2,100.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yea its a good deal actually, but I have Toy axles, and want the size and strength of the Toy safts and Center chunk.

If I didn't already have the axles I would consider his the best bang for the buck.

I may have to Fab my own, I'll need to find a good machine shop first though, :rolleyes:

I need to call Brent and talk to him :D

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
My buddy has a toy/dana hybrid. Works well. He runs 38s, and no breakage on nasty shit. Did shear a couple spring pins!

My understanding is that you should probably hold off for a bit longer as the rumor mill is that there will be a high angle birfield coming out in the future. Keep an eye out on the Toyota section.

-Wayne

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
The new longs turn tighter than a 44 will.

There is no reason to do a hybrid..

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
You can always run either wheel spacers or 2" backspaced wheels... and then a twin-stick/ARB/hydro assist to make it possible to turn.

I'm about to order some 2" spacers from rockbuggysupply.com - they're $52 each. It'll be a bitch to turn, but I can always shift into 2LO to turn, and it'll let me fit the 38.5s sitting out back begging to be run. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good points listed by you all, and i had not known that a tighter radius Birf was being made. 38*, Kool.

I may rethink this then.
As far as the tires into the springs: wont hapen, there are no springs! :p

and the throw of the steering box: there is no steering box! :p

Yup, I am linking the suspension, and going full Hydro. Its the only way to solve a few little nagging problems I have, beside no $$$ :mad:

I wont be doing the build up till this fall when I take the rig aprt, till then its mostly stock axles, Fozzy locked in the rear, soon to be a lockright up front.

thanks for the info guys, now I have to save $$$ for the Longfeilds! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
TNToy said:
You can always run either wheel spacers or 2" backspaced wheels... and then a twin-stick/ARB/hydro assist to make it possible to turn.

I'm about to order some 2" spacers from rockbuggysupply.com - they're $52 each. It'll be a bitch to turn, but I can always shift into 2LO to turn, and it'll let me fit the 38.5s sitting out back begging to be run. :grinpimp:
the spacers will let your tires clear your springs easier, but you know that your scrub radius will be much greater, putting the tires way into the firewall at full lock......just a fyi. sorry to hijack thread

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
BRBx4 said:

the spacers will let your tires clear your springs easier, but you know that your scrub radius will be much greater, putting the tires way into the firewall at full lock......just a fyi. sorry to hijack thread
Shit, $52 each? Is that right? They better be gold plated. Why not just get some custom backspaced rims for about the same money?

-Wayne

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Hybrid

I built a hybrid D44 / Toyota axle. I could build another if the price were right!

I can e-Mail a photo if you would like to see it.

I built it using off the shelf axles that I can buy at the local spicer shop. It uses 760 / 297 u-joints available anywhere.

The initial price of building one may be a little higher, but it is well worth it. Oh and it is 62" from mounting surface to mounting surface.

Tim Taylor

·
Fabster
2,529 Posts
I have been collecting part and ideas and am getting together the tooling to build myself a toy-44 hybrid. It will use a toy V6 third, stock replacement Warn D44 shafts and CTM u-joints. Im planing on it being about 62" wide. If anyone is interested in having one built pm me and maybe we can work something out.

Randy

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Randy said:
I have been collecting part and ideas and am getting together the tooling to build myself a toy-44 hybrid. It will use a toy V6 third, stock replacement Warn D44 shafts and CTM u-joints. Im planing on it being about 62" wide. If anyone is interested in having one built pm me and maybe we can work something out.

Randy
How do you deal with the difference in splines?

Do you machine the side gears, or re-spline the axle?

·
Fabster
2,529 Posts
The 44 shafts spline slide right into the toy third no modification needed.;)

Randy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts