Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have put together a choped up 4 runner and the frontend I put together has a True track, w-4:88's, Longs inners and outers, and I have been wondering if this True Track might actualy have a chance to last me awhile running 37" MTR's. I realize all things break eventualy just looking for some input.
Dan

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some how I got the impression after purchasing the unit, that it was intended for 33's or smaller tires, and am courious if anyone might be having good luck with one running like 37's or 38's. It seems most guys that are running 37's just run a locker no mater what.
I also seem to have got myself into another odd part, and that is the Longfield new part chryo, inners I realized after the purchase that I should have purchsed Cromolly inners rather than Longs that are(.040 under sized in the weekest spot compaired to stock) inners. The ones I got from Long I am some what worried about I would almost bet the stock axle not treated would be stronger than one that should in my opion be a reject. But I have not run it yet so I really dont know.
I do know he said it will twist a lot farther before it breaks, and thats probably true but as I was reading in a different PBB section that dosent meen it is any stronger.
Just sharing some of what I have learned after my purchase's like I said I have not got to try this rig in the NW Oregon trails yet so it might last me a long time I sure hope so.
Dan

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Just remember if you try to warranty a broken Trutrac, they will not honor the warranty with larger than 33" tires. Tried it & they refused to warranty for that reason. Of course it could have been BS on the part of the shop?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that must be how I got that impression. So you did break one, how big of tires and how much abuse did it hold up for?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
FoxFab had some problems with TruTracs I think. I guess it likes to shock-load really bad if you get bouncing or suddenly gain traction.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I was running 33" Buckshots, climbing a near vertical 3-4' rock. It started to do the racheting/hopping thing & went boom. I also had the brakes on slightly trying to gain a little more traction to both tires. The Trutrac tended to want to rachet back & forth when tires slipped under power. Worked well in snow though.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I did not like the fact that since the Trutrack is a limited slip, it only transfer a portion of the power to the driving wheel when the other was in the air. The only advantage it had was on snow in 4w hi. It didn't want to drive you off the road like the Detroit does. Steering was also easier when bound up while wheeling. I would go with the Detroit hands down having had both. Depends on what you will use it for.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
notstock said:
Just remember if you try to warranty a broken Trutrac, they will not honor the warranty with larger than 33" tires. Tried it & they refused to warranty for that reason. Of course it could have been BS on the part of the shop?
That's correct. I remember reading the manual for one and it said they won't warranty it for anything bigger than 32's.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Hey Dan welcome to the darkside as they like to call it around these parts. I believe John was Running a True-Trac with 35" tires and doing ok. Takes a little different driving style with pumping the brakes trying to get both tires to engage and spin.

As long as you drive fairly sane you should be ok as long as you you need it. Of course there always are freak incidents when stuff breaks just cuz it can.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I ran a True-trac for years in a rear 10-bolt under a fullsize Blazer with 35's, including a couple years of mild to moderate trail use. Never had any problems with it and the rear axle is now under another guys Blazer with 35's.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
they blow ass....
althouth it did break 3 birfs and didnt grenade,
the last with my 37s.

no traction means more right foot which means more breakage.

lose that POS soon.

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
I run heavily grooved 36's with a trutrac in the front and it's help my newfields last a long time, but we have pretty forgiving terrain around here with loose gravel/rock/mud hillclimbs and creek beds with alot of moss, you have to pretty much ride the brake from a dead stop to get both tires to pull evenly but you do notice it there in my experiences...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well I have gone on about 8-10 trips now flogging the runners new set up and have to say the True track has done me pretty good so far.

Sure enough the cryo Long inner short side snapped like a twig and gave 0 traction up front with that TT and took a while of winching to get out of where we were, so I put the stock short side inner one back in there & been running it thru way worse stuff since and has held up great so far KOW.

I seem to be doing much better in the snow & mud then my friend’s rigs with lockers up front.
I have noticed that when one front tire will stop spinning it needs to be bound up pretty hard and, it makes a moaning/squall type of noise telling me it just aint going to go, but loading the brakes some has helped a few times but usually if it is that bound up I might as well just back down it is not like it happens very often, and I would like to give it a chance to last a while.

Started out with a some what of a controllable rear wheel hop during hill climbs and haven’t noticed it since building the traction bar she’s working out pretty good so far I'm very happy.

·
Registered
561 Posts
you guys that say a tru trac is a POS should send some of whatever your smokin my way :flipoff2:

i have beat the piss out of a true trac in a front 44 with 38s for about 2 years now,and its held up great,survived 2 broken u joints. its held up very well

the true trac is the only LSD worth messing with,IMO. it does a great job of keeping both wheels spinning with some brake modulation. at least it will send some power to the opposite wheel when one is up in the air. most clutch driven LSDs wont do that.and no clutches to wear out.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to hear your TT is holding up I guess in a perfect world we would all have a TT 3ed for winter and a Nospin set up for dry, after seeing how an ARB works in the snow I would still run a TT and truely feel I would go farther IMO still being able to make that corner without backing off the gas up in the snow and giving that extra little run way at the hill the ARB buddies dont make without a fight.:D
Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts