Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Building a Custom Camper Hauler is nothing new as I have been using my first one for over four years now.

I designed this trailer based on my growing needs, and improvements and upgrades from my last toy hauler build...have looked at many commercial toyhaulers as well as custom builts, but always came back to if I want it done right ....do it yourself.....this one is exactly what I wanted and because willing to put in the labor myself in the end is cheaper.:D

First Camper/Hauler build

Already been working several weeks on new Toy Hauler and finally loaded for maiden voyage.

Loaded up ready to go....well not exactly through with everything but it is time to play.

toybox biuld 135.jpg

toybox biuld 134.jpg

Arrived at camp site getting ready to unload

toybox biuld 130.jpg

Set up and enjoying A/C 100* and no breeze....Electric awning is kick a$$

toybox biuld 127.jpg

Will be kicking back in this puppy every chance I get. Big window might be awkward when I'm in the recliner naked eating Cheeto's.
toybox biuld 138.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
Once again damn. thats:grinpimp:You do great work

I loved the first trailer build.. If i had the storage space for one and space to build it id love to build one from a 23ft travel trailer and one of the 3 car wedge trailers..

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Will be kicking back in this puppy every chance I get. Big window might be akward when I'm in the recliner naked eating chetos.[/ATTACH]
Sweet looking rig man....I remember one time I was throwing it to a girl in a campground and forgot about the big back window on my parents old class C...NOT good.

WINDOW TINT WINDOW TINT WINDOW TINT.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Very nice and clean, that's what makes it such a great set up. Wish I had the facilities and where-with-all build one like that. Yall at Katemcy? Bet it will be a hot bitch down there. Have fun and keep us posted!!

Todd

PS Too bad you didn't bring any movies to watch.... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You'll probably always have a vehicle on the back but how does it tow without one on it?

Very nicely done btw. No telling what that would cost from a manufacturer if they made them...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Geeze, I didnt think you could top your previous build, damn you make me sick:D. That looks awesome. Whats the total length of the deck? (camper and rear).

·
Poser
1,556 Posts
Tex D - Nice job. I shall hearby create another shrine to worship thy superior fab skills! How does that huge set up tow with that SRW truck? I am building a Tex D inspired crawler hauler type set up. I was super paranoid about weight so I am going with a small pop up, turned sideways with room for the quad between the camper and the gooseneck hitch and the jeep on the back.

The pop up is brand new and I have not even picked it up yet. I am working to make it look clean and not all hacked up, the new pop up will help. The trailer is in nice shape too. So hopefully in the end it will turn out well.

LT

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Once again damn. thats:grinpimp:You do great work

I loved the first trailer build.. If i had the storage space for one and space to build it id love to build one from a 23ft travel trailer and one of the 3 car wedge trailers..
Thanks......Just do it

Damn nice tool boxes:D

Have you checked you load cycles yet?

2.3 gemini's per Newtons law of perpetual motion

What do you do for a living?

Not very much for the last 4 weeks

Do you know Tony Palmer?

I would have to go to TP to tell you how well I know Tony

You should not have carpet with you cheeto problem.
Its all good
toybox biuld.jpg

That thing looks sick with your junk loaded on the back.

:D
Sweet looking rig man....I remember one time I was throwing it to a girl in a campground and forgot about the big back window on my parents old class C...NOT good.

Thanks...It happens

WINDOW TINT WINDOW TINT WINDOW TINT.
Very nice and clean, that's what makes it such a great set up. Wish I had the facilities and where-with-all build one like that. Yall at Katemcy? Bet it will be a hot bitch down there. Have fun and keep us posted!!

Todd

Thanks....We are at a new park called Texanna Ranch...Trees Ranch Group is here having our first run...it is bad ass more to come on it later, and yes it is a hot bitch here as well

PS Too bad you didn't bring any movies to watch.... :flipoff2:
You'll probably always have a vehicle on the back but how does it tow without one on it?

Very nicely done btw. No telling what that would cost from a manufacturer if they made them...
Pulls good without rigs but tounge is probably to heavy for SRW with out rigs about 3000+ lbs
Geeze, I didnt think you could top your previous build, damn you make me sick:D. That looks awesome. Whats the total length of the deck? (camper and rear).
Thanks...39.5 feet deck 19 hauler and 20 camper 63.5 total set up.

can you get more pics of how you built this thing, technical ones being preferred. looks awesome, total length?
Thanks....more to come, total 39.5 deck 6.5 goose, and 63.5 total set up

Tex D - Nice job. I shall hearby create another shrine to worship thy superior fab skills! How does that huge set up tow with that SRW truck? I am building a Tex D inspired crawler hauler type set up. I was super paranoid about weight so I am going with a small pop up, turned sideways with room for the quad between the camper and the gooseneck hitch and the jeep on the back.

The pop up is brand new and I have not even picked it up yet. I am working to make it look clean and not all hacked up, the new pop up will help. The trailer is in nice shape too. So hopefully in the end it will turn out well.

LT
Thanks.. My fab skills are what they are but it helps knowing what I want, how I want it, and people with real skills. I to started with new camper, last night was first night to even stay in it. Good luck with your project look forward to seeing pics.
that thing is amazing. got a build up of this one?
Thanks...Pics of build to follow.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The Players:

I Have A Welder aka Elmer
This guy can lay a weld that makes you want to touch yourself a little.
toybox biuld 035.jpg

PIMCOTRANS aka Earl
I thought I could put in a hard days work....Met my match with this guy
toybox biuld 034.jpg

TexasDick aka Richard
What a DICK
toybox biuld 041.jpg

fu2_wilson69 aka Wilson
Not many painters have a shop you can pull a 50 foot trailer into.....But Wilson got it covered.
toybox biuld 090_640x480.jpg

Ihearvoices aka Willy
Not sure what goes on in Willy's head but she knows when we are going to be here for awhile.
toybox biuld 036_640x480.jpg

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
nice rig, but I never understood the beavertail thing on a long/low trailer. If you were loading race cars or a bobcat, I might cut you some slack, but you have a rock crawler and UTV on the back, make the bed level so it doesnt drag everywhere :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
With The Chapman Brothers on board to help it was an easy decision to start build now. These guys are all about getting her done, once we committed to it there was no turning back and the games began.

As some of you have noticed Earl had his personal camper project going on at the same time, we have been working on both kinda in tandem.

When we started this there was talk of building these for the consumer......I have come to the conclusion I only enjoy the building process knowing I will be rewarded with the use of the finished project.

The Chapmans however decided that they would be interested in doing just that so you know who to contact for a one off custom hauler.

Now on to the build:
Have most everything purchased as I have been contemplating a new build on and off for awhile.....except for the camper itself.....finally found the donor in Whitesboro Tx and nabbed it.
Brand spanking new Palomino Sabre Silhouette 250 RLUD
toybox biuld 001.jpg

Three sticks of 40' I-beam, 4 sticks of 4' channel and day one begins

toybox biuld 003.jpg

toybox biuld 006.jpg

Day one ends with main frame done.

toybox biuld 009.jpg

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
nice rig, but I never understood the beavertail thing on a long/low trailer. If you were loading race cars or a bobcat, I might cut you some slack, but you have a rock crawler and UTV on the back, make the bed level so it doesnt drag everywhere :flipoff2:
I would hardly call a deck over trailer low.....but we will for sake of argument use your standards...My Toy Hauler has more clearance than most trailers used to haul jeeps and utv's around. In addition to the fact it is what I wanted and I will use it to haul other types of toys and vehicles.

But the great thing about this country is you can go build or BUY one that takes 8' ramps and therefore feeling like you crawled something when loading up your junk :flipoff2: No slack needed

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Players:

I Have A Welder aka Elmer
View attachment 525628

dont take this guy to bar with you....... :D

I would hardly call a deck over trailer low.....but we will for sake of argument use your standards...My Toy Hauler has more clearance than most trailers used to haul jeeps and utv's around. In addition to the fact it is what I wanted and I will use it to haul other types of toys and vehicles.

But the great thing about this country is you can go build or BUY one that takes 8' ramps and therefore feeling like you crawled something when loading up your junk :flipoff2: No slack needed

yep,:laughing:

·
Poser
1,556 Posts
Hey Tex-D,

How did you decide where to put the axles? Balancing it unloaded could be quite a bit different then loaded, no?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What size and gage metal did you use on your frame?
In addition to the parallel 8" I-beam on fifth wheel
10# 8" I-Beam front to back
4" 3/16 channel cross members

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey Tex-D,

How did you decide where to put the axles? Balancing it unloaded could be quite a bit different then loaded, no?

Taking into consideration what it was going to be used for and how it would be empty and with vehicles I placed the axles where I thought they should be.

I have also owned and pulled all kinds of trailer setups over the years some good, some bad, and learned from those.

Got lucky and this trailer pulls like a dream empty and loaded. It is hard to tell how much weight is on the tongue when the trailer is empty because it pulls so good. Will get actual weight this week.

With a 19.5 foot deck the different load positions are huge so it would be easy to get it right even if it was off a little.

Rule of thumb I use for good starting point is center point of axle setup should be 2/3's of length back.

With the axles behind the camper it may look like it would be allot of camper between axle and truck, however the 19.5 foot steel deck is heavy to counter balance.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts