Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way that the ignition timing notch on the crank pulley can be 90 degrees off? I just bought a 85 std cab and rebuilt the motor. It has never had any power and has always ran hot. I thought I had the cam timing wrong but I have checked it three fawkin times and its right. This last time I have the crank pulley off and the timing mark is 90 degrees from the key slot. I believe the key slot when pointing straight up is TDC. When the motor is in this position the timing mark is 90 degrees from the timing mark. Is this correct? I am wondering if this has a crank pulley from some other year or possibly an earlier 20 or 22r.

Other info....

misses at idle

Its hard to start

Shitty gas mileage

runs better (I think) when timing goes in said direction

Good compression.. but it takes a little while to build (5-7 cranks)
#1-165, #2-155, #3-165, #4-170 All within 75% of the highest

Good vacuum and all lines have been replaced and checked for correct routing over and over again. (one error was found and fixed early on)

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
If it were 90* off.... would it even start? I mean.. thats quite a bit.

Remember to always check the stupid things!

Dave

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I double checked. It wasn't quite 90 degrees, But still near 45 degrees. Yes it ran, quite well actually. But I put it at TDC on the compression cycle and marked it with some of the wifes fingernail polish. fire it up and set the timing to the fingernail polish and wha la. Fawker runs sweet. I thought I've seen or done everything possible to fawk up an engine.

This ones was a new one.

Oh yeah, I had checked everything simple, over and over again. Any good problem solver will tell you not assume everything is face value. That is where I went wrong. I assumed that the mark on the pulley was telling me the truth. I didn't have faith in myself when I found the problem, either.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Wow, no wonder it ran like ass!

Congrats- that really is a really weird problem, I'll have to mention that to my mechanic buddies :Laughing:

Sometimes you wonder why people do what they do, but I think it starts right after someone says this
"It doesnt matter, I'll remember, and I'll never sell it anyway!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts