Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to find out if the spring perches are in the same place on an '81 as they are on an '85, cause ive got an oppertunity to get an entire drum to drum setup with new gears, axle bearings and seals from an '81 for $125 and i want to find out what modifications ill have to do to put it under my '85.
Any help would be greatly appriceated.
Thanks
-Hoss-

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
earlier housings-55 inches wide, not as much gusseting
ifs housings-58 inches wide, more gusseting perch widths same.....brad

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Personally, I would try to get an IFS-era rear axle ('86+). They are 3" wider, the tubes are bigger, brakes are much better, drums are bigger. Here's a shot of an '84 & '87 housing standing up, you can see the difference in length and tube diameter:

Here's a comparision of the brake drums:

I also think that $125 is kinda too much for the older-style axle. Heck, I'm *GIVING AWAY* my old '84 rear axle to someone tomorrow, and it's complete except for the diff. But, I guess since it's probably got that much in new bearings and seals, he really can't come down on the price.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Hoss to answer your ? yes, they are the same width. If it has new gears,seals, and bearings it sounds like a fair price. I think you may come close to that with the seals and bearings alone. The only thing you wil need to do is redrill the flange on the rear to the larger bolt pattern for the drive shaft. Take your 85 flange, remove it from the third,remove the thin metal dust cover, then use a hose clamp and clamp it to the 81 flange. Then drill the 4 new holes, leave the 85 flange clapmed to the 81 flange while you drill so you get the holes just right. Remember to get a bit that is the same size as the new (85) bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts