Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes im a newbie but ive been readin this board for about 3 months dont hurt my feelings too bad.
Any one that has done this, how much lift did you get out of it? Moving rear srpings to the front and fabing some mazda 2wd's in back. Its a 85 4runner. I was thinking maybe 3.5" is that about right?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
You will LOSE lift unless you add other leaves with more arch.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Rears in front chevy 63's in rear .

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the 63" chevy's are an option too its really up in the air now. this is going to be a slow project because its not going to be my DD, im still going to keep my 90 4runner. If i do go with mazda's what is the best leaf to add in there? could i take one out of the front leafs that i disgard?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
bluerunner said:
yeah the 63" chevy's are an option too its really up in the air now. this is going to be a slow project because its not going to be my DD, im still going to keep my 90 4runner. If i do go with mazda's what is the best leaf to add in there? could i take one out of the front leafs that i disgard?
Sure,take out as many leafs from the front as you want to:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . If you've been reading this board for 3 month's,have you read anything at all about rears up front? If you say "yeah,sure have" , I say "YEAH RIGHT". You HAVE to add 3 to 5 leafs from a different pack to get any lift at all out of rears up front. This is stated in EVERY post about rears up front. Really seriously go read some rears up front threads and you can see the many different options you have.

With your rear suspention, I think there might be more people running the Chevies than Mazda's. I've seen pics of both set up's and both seem to work well. I personally am gonna use Chevies till I decide to go coils. I've not looked to much into the Mazdas cuz I'm running Chevies,but I would say you'd have to add some to those also.

You could read the Toyota FAQ thread at the top of the 1st page. That thread cover's both of these set up's with alot of detail along with a ton of other good topics. That's why it's a sticky and say's "Important! ATTN: All, you must read! Toy FAQ ( 1 2 3 )"

·
Registered
433 Posts
i run mazda's in the rear. I added 2 leaves from stock toyota rears to make a 5 leaf pack. That and 7 1/2" about long shackles give about 4 inch lift in the rear.

Flex's pretty good, gonna add some buggy leafs here pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well I don't have the faintest clue what DRM is talking about cause I ran toyota rears in the front for years and it not only moves your axle forward but also gives you a few inches of lift over using the stock leaves. Now I guess one could argue that it depends on how saggy your stock front springs are to begin with. I also ran a 5 leaf pack using a leaf from the front for a sort of any wrap lower leaf. I ran the 2wd Mazda leafs in the rear as well and ran a 4 leaf pack combining more leafs from the mazda. It definitely lifts the truck a few inches without using those gawd aweful long ass chevy springs and hella long shackles that just drag on everything like a boat anchor. I'd recommend it. I did add an inch or two longer shackles over stock but that is about it. Good luck and have fun. It make for a pretty nice setup for everyday wheelin and driving.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking the same thing about the toyota leaf swap from rear to front as ECF. In all the 85's ive seen the rear leaf springs look like they have at least 3" of more arch than the front leaf springs. in fact, the front stock leaf sprigs have negative arch on a lot of them. thats why i thought that i could move the rear to the front and not need to add any leaves to it to lift the front. i realize i was wrong about the 2wd mazda springs i read the TOYOTA FAQ thread and that helped a lot.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
pat ran mazdas in a truck when i first started wheelin that worked real good. i made a set out of 2 sets by cutting and tapering leafs working down through the pack to like 6-7 leafs, never ran them but the joker has them in his garage:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

i 47" toy rear only has a 130# spring rate, ecf, were you using them alone up front(no added leaves)?? guess theyd match up nice with some aerostar coils out back?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Negative on the aerostar coil swap. They are way to soft for the toyota leaves. Aerostars are like 100 pounds or 110 and I'm sure the toyota leaves are more than 130. Anyway in checking out spring rates I'd go 10-20 pounds less in the rear so that they are balanced. I don't remember the numbers any more for either of the toyota or aerostars but I tried running this set up and it sucked arse! You'd go around a corner and the entire truck side would drag on the pavement. Well not literally but you get my point.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
ECF said:
You'd go around a corner and the entire truck side would drag on the pavement. Well not literally but you get my point.
i already have that problem with my balls....:flipoff2:

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Also, that second gen Runner is a heavy SOB. Alot heavier than a first Gen or any pickup.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have this set up and it works good I have toyota two leafs and a pro comp and two wrangler leafs the rear is mazda with five thin leafs flex good and buggy leaf.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help I have a lot better understanding now. I am a little concerned that ecf has seen boogers to begin with but thats your thing man not mine.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You've obviously never been wheelin with booger cause everyone that has, has seen those nasty things whether they wanted to or not! Sick FAWKER!
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL now I see, I was just messing with you ECF.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts