Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 3 inch suspension lift from downey for my 1980 toyota pickup and I am finally almost done rounding up the parts for my buildup. I was planning on running Daystar shackles that give me 2 inches of lift for a total of 5 inches. I was wondering if I will need an adjustable draglink for this. Also is it a bad idea altogether to run real long shackles with stock length springs? Im only putting them on to run 35's but I dont mind hacking sheet metal if shackles are going to ruin my pinion angles. Also I was wondering about this. All pro says that you cant run 35's on pre 86 trucks without widening the axles(with their lift). Since the Downey is not a high articulation suspension system like the All Pro is can I get away with 35's on offset wheels until I get my wider axles and an All Pro lift? My truck is geared with 5:29s so I dont feel like running 31's with them until I can afford a good lift and some new axles. Thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I am pretty sure you will need the adjustable drag link.
The shackles arn't good for the pinion angles, my shackles are 7" eye to eye. Removal of sheet metal is the best way to make room for clearance. This will keep the COG lower, and the metal will probably get wrinkled anyway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will shackles help my articulation at all? I dont want a shitty pinion angle so I think Ill do the hack unless shackles will help the performance of my truck

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Most likely an extended shackle will give you an undesireable pinion angle
As for steering, is getting yourself an ifs steering box and making yourself crossover steering out of the question?

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Since you are going for better articulation I suggest you get High Steer as soon as possible. Yes shackles will help with articulation but I would do a drop front spring mount at the same time so you dont screw your pinion angle.

If you get even decent articulation your ability to steer is going to be greatly reduced and possibly damaging pieces.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have my ifs steering box I just dont have the crossover yet. Im going to just do it all at once when I can afford the all pro kit with everything for my truck. Right now I just want to get it up there to fit 35's so I can start saving my cash to buy the all pro lift(its gonna be a while). I wouldnt even have bought the downey lift but it was cheap as dirt and I heard they are better than superlift or any other stock(crap length spring). Plus I dont have access to a welder or the cash to pay someone to do it for me.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you do go with lift shackles in front, you can also correct your
pinion angle with steel shims. They are available in different
sizes (degrees). Might be hard to find, though, most 4wd shops
just have the aluminum ones (DO NOT USE).

·
popeye
5,625 Posts
if you stay with the stock steering you will want a dropped drag link or your steering wheel will be turned to the rite (i think the rite, been a long time since that steering). also be sure to carry a spare j arm or two. i still carry a spare j arm for those who broke one in front of me:rolleyes:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I used to have the downey springs and the steering feel was anything but symmetrical, that is, I had to turn the wheel further to turn to the left (I think) which was weird to get used to. I also did not have a drop drag link since I retained my stock shackles. Don't sweat shackle angle too much, those springs don't flex that great anyway-I did like them though. but keep in mind that as shackle angle worsens, so will the ride, and those springs were anything but plush. As for 35's, you maybe could run them in the frount without that much shackle lift, but you will need the prerequisite firewall trimming, and as for the back, well, when I got my 35's to run with my Alcans, I still had my downeys and I sized them up. No way. If you're really on the cheap, I'd use a block for the time being-probably a 4 in so that the e-brake cable can still work, and it won't look like it's dragging it's butt all around like mine did. I know, blocks suck, but whatever. Relocating the front shackle mount isn't a bad idea since a lot of custom springs don't give that great of a shackle angle anyway. Good luck

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I think Ill just run the lift springs with cheap shocks, 1 inch lift shackles, dropped draglink and 33's until I can afford to do phase 2 of the build. Still need to get phase one finished.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts