Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this is a mistake...Toyoda on the powersteering res. cap? Noticed it when I was installing powersteering on my truck. I said,"what the fawk!" Had to take a double take.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Shagnaz2 said:
Does anyone know if this is a mistake...Toyoda on the powersteering res. cap? Noticed it when I was installing powersteering on my truck. I said,"what the fawk!" Had to take a double take.
Good story behind this.

The creator of Toyota is actually Toyoda. When starting up his company, he went to the 'Oracle' in Japan; and asked her what he should do to assure success in his company.

She told him to not bear the company with his Family name. So the vehicles were to be named Toyota, but he still managed to sneak Toyoda in here and there ;)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Re: Re: Toyoda on powersteering cap?

SR5Dave said:

Good story behind this.

The creator of Toyota is actually Toyoda. When starting up his company, he went to the 'Oracle' in Japan; and asked her what he should do to assure success in his company.

Sounds alot like the MATRIX to me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Toyoda on powersteering cap?

WHEEL N TOY said:

Sounds alot like the MATRIX to me.:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: because I used the word oracle? The word Oracle DID exist before the movie......

AFAIK its true.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Thats how I came up with my screen name, thought it was cool that they mispelled their own name.

But I guess it was done on purpose.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Toyoda said:
Thats how I came up with my screen name, thought it was cool that they mispelled their own name.

But I guess it was done on purpose.
Now you can just say you knew all along and look cool :flipoff2:

Lowtorious said:
Was there a little bald kid there who said: It's not the frame that rots or the squirrels that scream, it's only yourself.....
Now that you changed it its way funnier!!!..............

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know about the oracle part but the rest is true. It's bad luck in Japanese culture to name your business with the family name. I work for toyota in a parts warehouse. Part of our orientation was the history of the company.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That is very interesting. I've always wondered where the ToyoDa came from. I always figured it was some sort of sub contracted out type of company or something of that nature. Now everytime I check my powersteering fluid, I'll think and remember this thread/tid bit of info.:)

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Fireballsocal said:
I don't know about the oracle part but the rest is true. It's bad luck in Japanese culture to name your business with the family name. I work for toyota in a parts warehouse. Part of our orientation was the history of the company.
Thats just how it was told to me. Glad there is someone to back that up!

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Raptorman57 said:
That is very interesting. I've always wondered where the ToyoDa came from. I always figured it was some sort of sub contracted out type of company or something of that nature. Now everytime I check my powersteering fluid, I'll think and remember this thread/tid bit of info.:)

See, we arent wasting our time here! this is actually history 101!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Lowtorious said:
Was there a little bald kid there who said: It's not the frame that rots or the squirrels that scream, it's only yourself.....
:confused: Did I miss something:confused: ............Hans

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
DOODE! I am glad I saw this... my Toyota history teacher lied and said it stood for: "T"op "O"ff "Y"early "O"r "D"ead "A"rms

Who woulda thunk?

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
In 1996 I had a Japanes foreign exchange student living at my house. I asked her father who was a high ranking Japanese businessman executive the same question.

He explained that it is common for the same name to be spelled differently when translated from Japanese to English. When the Toyota corporation had the power steering cap made by a smaller company. The company that made the cap asked Toyota if they wanted anything on it. They said in Japanese of course ' Put "Toyota" on it but write it in english". The machinist wrote it as "Toyoda".

So according to him it was a manufacturing mistake and they decided not to have it fixed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have never seen toyoDA marked on any parts, learn something new everyday. the only time that I have delt with toyoda is with the machines that make parts for toyota some of the other machine companies used are Toyota Machine Works (TMW) and there are some others that I can't think of right now but the ToyoTA owns all of the companies

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
doesnothing said:
I have never seen toyoDA marked on any parts, learn something new everyday.

Go look on the steering box. It's there too. At least it is on the IFS boxes.

Come to think of it, its on the car boxes too.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Re: Re: Toyoda on powersteering cap?

SR5Dave said:

Good story behind this.

She told him to not bear the company with his Family name. So the vehicles were to be named Toyota, but he still managed to sneak Toyoda in here and there ;)
/

Sneak one in here and there? I have seen Toyoda on many parts so I would assume it was date of manufacture more so than oddball luck that determined the letter differentiation

1 - 20 of 23 Posts