Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a deal on a 1/2 cut of a Hi-Lux that has the Toyota 2L-TE turbo diesel. It includes the engine, transmission, ECU, driveshafts, front and rear differentials, and complete front suspension (IFS unfortunately) for around $3000 but with aound $1000 shipping. I am going to need to do something about the 3.0 in my 94 pickup and I am thinking that this seems to be a viable solution. As much as it will cost I could go with a 3.4 but I am after greater torque and just as importantly increased fuel economy. I have been reading that there are bigger and more torquey (is that a word?) Toyota diesel engines out there, but finding the tranny and other parts would be difficult. Has anyone attempted this or have any experience?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dont know much about the toy diesels but there is one on ebay now real cheap, a whole truck 2x4 with extra engine.

You could always go VW TDI 130hp, I see them selling for around $2000-3000 and low miles.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Keep in mind the 2LT was super low production in the US, so if you need parts/spares, it is going to be hard to find and expensive! 3.4 parts are a dime a dozen and even moreso as time goes on. Diesel is great, but keep in mind you need to be able to get parts for it!

Kurt G.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To find others that have done the 2L-T 2L-TII 2L-TE 3L swap visit the conversions forum at http://www.toyotadiesel.com/ . I swapped out the 2L-T in my 1985 pickup for a 1990s 2L-TII (non EFI), and I am really happy with the power/performance (especially after I installed the 2-1/2" exhaust). Fuel economy is not bad at 25-28 mpg (31" tires, huge canopy). I have heard others claim even better. Parts are difficult, but certainly not impossible to find. Parts availability would be a good reason to go with a VW diesel, especially if this is your daily driver. However, I do not know how easy the VW conversion would be. The toyota L series engines are a relatively straight forward swap the R series motors (same tranny, mounts, different bellhousing), and a bit more work to replace the V6 (new motor mounts, different tranny..). The half cut makes everything easier, because you get all the peripheral diesel-related parts (and tranny)...I plan on getting a half-cut for my *next* conversion...

Also, is it an e-locker rear axle in your half-cut? That may make it a much more appealing deal if it is...

·
Registered
65 Posts
seafarinman said:
So do you sell adapters that can connect the VW TDI (1.9l I assume?) to my toyota R150 transmission? This truck is a daily driver/trail rig right now. I am planning on picking up a Samurai in the next couple months, and I will definitely be interested in a VW TDI swap for that!
the adapters that are available will work with the TDI's and are for the 22R four cylinder style Toyota transmissions and I believe if yours is a R150 in order to make it work you will need the 4cyl turbo bellhousing.

I have the adapters and are available to mate any VW four cylinder water cooled family of engines to the four cylinder 22R style transmission, manual or auto, Samurai's, and the Sidekick/Tracker manual or auto.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not entirely sure, but I believe that the differentials that come with the half cut are factory LSD models. Not something that I would wish to run, but would surely be worth for someone who is running their drivetrain fairly stock. I am concerned over the emissions regulations that will affect the swap. I sent out an email to the powers that be to try to get some answers before I even think about forking over that $3800 *violently coughs* for the half cut. Damn that makes my wallet throb with pain thinking about it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
seafarinman said:
I am not entirely sure, but I believe that the differentials that come with the half cut are factory LSD models. Not something that I would wish to run, but would surely be worth for someone who is running their drivetrain fairly stock. I am concerned over the emissions regulations that will affect the swap. I sent out an email to the powers that be to try to get some answers before I even think about forking over that $3800 *violently coughs* for the half cut. Damn that makes my wallet throb with pain thinking about it.
HAHA! And that's just the fee of entry.....

Kurt G.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Genshie said:
HAHA! And that's just the fee of entry.....

Kurt G.
Well it will already be in country before I get it shipped to me :flipoff2: but the $1000 is for the domestic shipping from "over there" to "over there" (since I am stuck overseas right now at sea, south of the equator, on the far side of the world.) Shit I should bring one back on the ship! :p

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
seafarinman said:
Well it will already be in country before I get it shipped to me :flipoff2: but the $1000 is for the domestic shipping from "over there" to "over there" (since I am stuck overseas right now at sea, south of the equator, on the far side of the world.) Shit I should bring one back on the ship! :p
Getting it from Jar right?
When is their next shipment due? I been thinking about the same conversion once I get a truck sold. Course living 20 minutes from Jar makes it even more inviting. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup. Man I wish that they weren't so far away. Just for the cost associated, I will probably end up doing the 3.4 swap instead. I emailed them and they said that they are going to Japan next month to get some more. I wish that that I could pick one up myself, but I am on a small ship, and there is no room for something like that.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Marlins son Mike just got his 3.4 conversion drivable. Hes got a good write up going on inthe BBS at MarlinCrawler.com

I just signed up to Toy diesel page and saw a post from Micheal and asked when his next shipment was coming in. Hopefully my GMC will seel by the time he goes.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
We have 4Runners/Surf's and Hilux's running around everywhere over here in Aus (thousands of them) and personaly there is no worse conversion from anything petrol to this. If it was allready a non turbo deisel then its not a bad power increase but if you are going from a 22R/RE or any Toyota V6 then you are going to be disapointed in the upgrade/downgrade.

They do have a heap of tourqe but realy are slow on road unless you give them a heap more boost which they dont realy handle that well.

I have been in a few rigs with highly modified 2.4 and 2.8 turbo engines and they have never impressed me. The Average 22R still goes better. We never got the 22RE in AUS.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
They stopped importing Diesels here in 85. All we have since then is Gasers.
My 22RE is hurting. It will probably be an improvement and the MPG would be as well. I run 44 miles a day or more just too and from work. I hear 30mpg is not uncommon. Diesel is cheaper then Gas here so finacially it will pay for itself in a few months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts