Pirate 4x4 banner

Toyota 3RZ to AX15

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Shreddinlettuce 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm trying to adapt a 3RZ engine to a Jeep AX15/NP231 in a XJ Sport (original engine was a 2.5 turbo diesel).

What bellhousing/clutch would I need? Can I keep the AX15 input shaft?

Any help would be appreciated.
Automotive tire Wheel Automotive wheel system Gear Circle

This is the original bellhousing.

See less See more
#2 ·
You need a bellhousing from a 2tr equipped (gen 4 Tacoma 4cyl 5 speed) or the one marlin crawler makes:

also you will have to swap the input shaft and retainer from an r151 or r154 which can be had for about $80 and $60 on eBay. The parts directly swap with no mods and you use a 3rz clutch and flywheel package as usual.

Jeep input shaft is longer and different spline to the clutch,plus the retainer is longer (can be shortened to work, but you probably need a new one since they Wear)

#6 ·
You need a bellhousing from a 2tr equipped (gen 4 Tacoma 4cyl 5 speed) or the one marlin crawler makes:

also you will have to swap the input shaft and retainer from an r151 or r154 which can be had for about $80 and $60 on eBay. The parts directly swap with no mods and you use a 3rz clutch and flywheel package as usual.

Jeep input shaft is longer and different spline to the clutch,plus the retainer is longer (can be shortened to work, but you probably need a new one since they Wear)
Great advice, thank you.
Would the same apply to a 5VZ? I believe that bellhousing would be a direct bolt on. I've been researching mileage on those 2 engines and they don't appear to be that far off.

#3 ·
#7 ·
This is a fairly common swap, guys do it to be able to bolt 6 bolt pattern cases up with no adapter. My NA 3rz makes good power in my buggy, adding a turbo would get me into all kinds of trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.