Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to figure out the differences between a v-6, and a 4cyl third. i know the v-6 third is stronger due to the thick mounting surface, and 4 pinion carrier, also a thicker ring gear. my question is that if im putting a detroit in a 4cyl third id be replacing the carrier, so how would it hold up compaired to a v-6 third. what would the weaknesses be with this setup. i dont do hard core rock crawling, mostly snow, mud and trails. any info would be appreciated, cause finding a v-6 third up here is proving to be hard to find and the ones ive found were expensive.

·
Registered
25,171 Posts
Are you asking how does a 2-pinion detroit compare to a 4-pinion detroit? Or are you asking how the 2-pinion detroit compares to a stock 4 pinion carrier? Or are you trying to put the 2 pinion detroit IN the V6 housing???

The strength difference between the two is not much. If you can find the V6 stuff, great, but the 4-banger equipment is still plenty strong, and alot more available.
If you were asking the 3rd question above, I'm pretty sure you cannot do that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pazuzu said:
Are you asking how does a 2-pinion detroit compare to a 4-pinion detroit? Or are you asking how the 2-pinion detroit compares to a stock 4 pinion carrier? Or are you trying to put the 2 pinion detroit IN the V6 housing???

The strength difference between the two is not much. If you can find the V6 stuff, great, but the 4-banger equipment is still plenty strong, and alot more available.
If you were asking the 3rd question above, I'm pretty sure you cannot do that.
pretty much i was asking how a 4cyl third with a 4cyl detriot campare to the v-6 set up. but i guess you kind of answered that. sorry for not being so clear, just woke up. thanks

·
Registered
25,171 Posts
greengo said:

pretty much i was asking how a 4cyl third with a 4cyl detriot campare to the v-6 set up. but i guess you kind of answered that. sorry for not being so clear, just woke up. thanks
The only way to break the 4-banger diff is with 36+ tires, locked, and hardcore crawling. For what you're doing, it'll last forever. No need to bother with the time and expense of looking for the V6 stuff.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
not really. I've broken a 4 cyl third with 33s on the street...just carry a spare 3rd...they're pretty cheap unless you need to regear it.

·
Registered
25,171 Posts
Violent91 said:
not really. I've broken a 4 cyl third with 33s on the street...just carry a spare 3rd...they're pretty cheap unless you need to regear it.
Broke the gears or the carrier? The 4-banger carrier is plenty strong, he will never break it. Gears will break for any number or reasons, most of which are not related to their strength.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.