Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DON’T SHOOT, I thought that I would post this here as apposed to the hardcore form because I would get an ear full. Anyway I am in the process of swapping in a front and rear 8” axle’s from a 1983 Toyota Truck into my Jeep YJ and wanted to know if anyone had done this swap before and had any pictures or info, I have done a search but dident get very much. If not don’t bother I know “Toyota axles in a Jeep WTF” and if you do I would appreciate if you could post them.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I thought about it briefly before I sold my sami. My conclusion was that they are too narrow and you need a pass t-case. I didn't want to get that deep into building my YJ. I know you can widen the front axles out by a few different methods, but that puts alot of stress on the kingpins having the wheels that far out. I think they'd be ok in a flatty or a narrow track CJ, but not so much in a YJ. Just my opinion.
Travis..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am using Yota axles in my YJ, I went with a FJ60 front and 4runner rear, and im linked front and rear though.

If you look at my build thread i have some pics, but my camera died so i havent gotten any new pics yet.

And the Pass side drop was no issue to me as i am also running a 4.3 with a sm465/np205 behind it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As of now, i just am running a set of 15x10 with with 3.75 bs on them, once i get some 38s and beadlock them ill get all the little things worked out. The jeep is not done yet. im trying to get a new camera so i can get back to more documenting and take some more pictures of everything. I think where im going to need to make everything even is a 1.5 spacer in the rears, or just make some rims to correct it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hay there Hawks very nice build this is what I was looking for someone thinking outside the box. I have 2 questions for you one is what type of wheels did you end up running because the Toyota axle is 55.5” WMS to WMS, did you end up running a wheel with a lot of offset? And the second question is did you change the pinion and caster angle on the front axle?

My plan seeing how Toyota axles are 55.5” wms to wms in the front and 55” in the back wms to wms and YJ axles are about 60” wms to wms is to run offset wheels from MRW Wheel with only about 1” to 1.5” of back spacing. The only real down side to this I would guess would be the amount of stress put on the knuckle. Also I plan on running front Toyota CV driveshafts in the front and rear so the pinion and caster angles will have to be changed. Well that’s it for about now I will post some pictures when I am a little further along.

Regards Greg

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I thought about it briefly before I sold my sami. My conclusion was that they are too narrow and you need a pass t-case. I didn't want to get that deep into building my YJ. I know you can widen the front axles out by a few different methods, but that puts alot of stress on the kingpins having the wheels that far out. I think they'd be ok in a flatty or a narrow track CJ, but not so much in a YJ. Just my opinion.
Travis..
X2 X2 X2. Too narrow for a YJ I think. You will be going from 58.5 wms down to 55. Not much if any tougher than a cad 30/c-clip 35 anyway.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hay there Hawks very nice build this is what I was looking for someone thinking outside the box. I have 2 questions for you one is what type of wheels did you end up running because the Toyota axle is 55.5” WMS to WMS, did you end up running a wheel with a lot of offset? And the second question is did you change the pinion and caster angle on the front axle?

My plan seeing how Toyota axles are 55.5” wms to wms in the front and 55” in the back wms to wms and YJ axles are about 60” wms to wms is to run offset wheels from MRW Wheel with only about 1” to 1.5” of back spacing. The only real down side to this I would guess would be the amount of stress put on the knuckle. Also I plan on running front Toyota CV driveshafts in the front and rear so the pinion and caster angles will have to be changed. Well that’s it for about now I will post some pictures when I am a little further along.

Regards Greg

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Look at an new V6 rear axle, width is 58.5" which is on par with an Explorer 8.8.

I'm thinking of using a Toyota gear, that way I don't have to switch axle shafts to match the Waggy D44 front.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I have 2 questions for you one is what type of wheels did you end up running because the Toyota axle is 55.5” WMS to WMS, did you end up running a wheel with a lot of offset? And the second question is did you change the pinion and caster angle on the front axle?
The Jeepster is narrow compared to the YJ, so I have as little offset as possible to keep the wheels under the TJ flares.

I didn't change the front spring pads, but I did change the rears, only because I didn't want to use a CV shaft.

I put an Aussie in the front, and with 35's the birfs don't last long. I'll be upgrading to Longfields. The Toy axles have their benefits, but you have to upgrade them.

Paul

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have already bought the 1983 Toyota mini truck axles that I will be using for $340.00 dollars and I knew that they were quiet a bit shorter than the YJ axles, so I talked to MRW Wheels and they do custom offset when you order wheels for no extra charge. So the plan will be to order 4 wheels with only 1”of backspacing which will give me 1” wider than a stock YJ in the front and .5” wider in the back.

Stock Toyota 8” front axle WMS to WMS = 55.5”
Stock YJ Dana 30 front axle WMS to WMS = 60.0”

Stock Toyota 8” rear axle WMS to WMS = 55.0”
Stock YJ Dana 35 rear axle WMS to WMS = 60.0” or 58.5” not sure

Stock backspacing on a YJ wheel = 3.75

A custom MRW wheel with only 1” of backspacing will gain me 2.75” per side x 2 sides= 5.5”

55.5” axle + 5.5”gain= 61.0”
55.0” axle + 5.5”gain= 60.5”

·
Registered
367 Posts
Tacoma rear in my TJ. Its 60" wide. usig an HP44 up front.
Itll be set by this friday ( I hope )

·
Registered
367 Posts
nah just needed a mount for the cupholders... whats a 4 link :p

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I have already bought the 1983 Toyota mini truck axles that I will be using for $340.00 dollars and I knew that they were quiet a bit shorter than the YJ axles, so I talked to MRW Wheels and they do custom offset when you order wheels for no extra charge. So the plan will be to order 4 wheels with only 1”of backspacing which will give me 1” wider than a stock YJ in the front and .5” wider in the back.

Stock Toyota 8” front axle WMS to WMS = 55.5”
Stock YJ Dana 30 front axle WMS to WMS = 60.0”

Stock Toyota 8” rear axle WMS to WMS = 55.0”
Stock YJ Dana 35 rear axle WMS to WMS = 60.0” or 58.5” not sure

Stock backspacing on a YJ wheel = 3.75

A custom MRW wheel with only 1” of backspacing will gain me 2.75” per side x 2 sides= 5.5”

55.5” axle + 5.5”gain= 61.0”
55.0” axle + 5.5”gain= 60.5”
Stock backspace on a YJ wheel is WAY more than 3.75". I have 4" bs wheels on my YJ and they are further out than stock.
Travis..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry you are right I just measured a set of stock YJ wheels and the BS was 5.25” my bad, thanks for correcting me. Has anyone else done this swap?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You can

You can widen the front axle to 58" using IFS hubs and spacers (very common mod). You then use an IFS rear which is wider than the solid axle rears.

You can get Toy flanges for Dana Tcases. 26 spline, dunno about 10 spline. What tcase do you plan on using? You'll want to have the shaft retubed, but the flanges/joints are very strong. I'd go all Yota on the driveshafts.

Toy front perches are ~29" center to center. YJ is 31"? I would be tempted to just use the passenger side perch, and simply relocate the driver side perch. It would move the axle 1" to the right.

I believe theres a guy on JeepsUnlimited who did a toyota axle swap.

High steer kits are readily available. The FJ80 tie rod ends are pretty beef. You might be able to have your pitman arm machined to accept them.
________
red head girl Cam

·
Registered
569 Posts
Buddy of mine runs toyota diffs in his cj7 with D300 (4speed, don't remember what model) and a 360. He has never broken a rear axle shaft, but has blown up 3 gear sets. welded, front and rear, with Ofields up front. (39.5 boggers on them too)

seams to work well

1 - 20 of 133 Posts