Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it might me sacrilege, but I think it's a good idea. I've got a '98 TJ with HPD30/D44(stock shafts) and want to step up to 37's. I just saw that Trail Gear has new Rock Assault axles and a front housing for Tacos(Driver's side drop) and was wondering if anyone foresees a problem with running these Rock Assault axles front/rear on my TJ. I'm thinking this would be the most economical way to run 37's and not have to worry much about axle breakage. I'd run Longfield axles, of course. Flame if you must but give some good pros/cons:smokin:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't say it would be cheap, just the most bang for my buck. I thought a D44 front shares the same axle u-joint as the D30? All I'm really getting would be a stronger R&P? Axles for these are a little more than Longfields. I can assemble the thirds myself so that would save labor $.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It is true that if you use a Rubicon Dana 44 front, you would have the same weakness as in the Dana 30's. However, if you used a full size Dana 44, it would be an upgrade. If you upgraded to chromoly shafts, and good u-joints, I do not think you would have many issues on 37's. I have a bunch of buddies who are running 35's or 37's on a Dana 30/44 combo with no problems.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do you really need 37's? You will need alloy's in back (and a light foot) and the front get a currie 44 or other full size 44 (rubicon 44's are ok for 37's if you do RCV axles (eliminated the weak u-joint).

But really are you geared and ready for 37's? buy a tall 35.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
37"s are borderline for built toyota axles. and by the time you bought that housing/gears/locker/shafts for it you might as well have went with a built 44 or 60 anyway. I run 37's on my truck and am scared of brakeing my front axle and it is built! a rear axle will hold up just fine to 40"+ though

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
I thought about this for a very long time and even went to great lengths to do the research and homework on the swap. I even went so far as to BUY a FJ80 front axle to get started on the swap and I was planning on running a Taco rear axle to match the width. It's VERY possible but will require some fab work.

Toy axles aren't always round, especially the FJ series axles. I made all the homework easy and put a lot of info in the Ultimate TJ thread (see the link in my sig). You can leave the housings on the passenger's side and run a passenger's drop tcase, like the favorable dana 300, or flip the ball ends and housing cover 180 degrees and make the Toy axle a driver's drop. You'll have to drill out a few of the holes on the 3rd member but it will flip too. It's relatively easy if you're good at welding the sheet metal on the Toy housings and it would be wise to beef up those thing areas as well. Aftermarket housings, especially the new ones from Ruff Stuff, are a very good option.

Check out those links, there's plenty of info and pics. It's been done and would be badass, however, if you go with mini truck axles from the '85ish pickups, be prepared to upgrade the steering arms as they WILL shear the bolts eventually. I watched a CJ7 on mini axles and 38s tear off the entire passenger's wheel WITH the birf and it wasn't pretty. That was in the mud since it's the NW and there were no rocks involved, so plan accordingly.

I would highly suggest selling your 30/44 combo and buying a 8.8 rear from ECGS, they're a vendor here on the boards. Stock 8.8s can take a beating and ECGS can get a unlocked 8.8 with 4.10s to your door for well under $1K with beefy axles. Find a HP44 from a 3/4 Ford in the right years (see UTJ thread again), narrow it to Waggy width and run 1/2 ton Ford 5 on 5.5 outers on it. Then go for some aftermarket axles from Poly Performance for the 8.8 or get the Super 88 kit and never look back for a rear 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern.

By the way, I'm sticking this thread in the UTJ thread as I've invested 10 minutes into writing this and that's the most tech I've done in months on here :flipoff2: If you got more questions, just ask and make sure to search through the UTJ thread.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
My personal opinion is that the toy axle has too many weaknesses. A 44 from a 1/2 ton or 3/4 would be a great idea and cheap at the same time.

78-79 3/4ton ford high pinion front, narrowed with new inner's. Add a locker gears, high steer and buy the link bracket kit and your done. This axle can be built for under $1000 and will not shear the steering off leaving you stranded on the trail.

Rear 9" narrowed gears etc, your done. Probably for around the same cost. Just my 2cents

1 - 12 of 12 Posts