Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Some COG formulas. Figure it would be a nice addition, so I don't have to retype it.

Center of gravity height (vehicle must be raised in the rear a min of 10")

(the wheel base squared) - (height raised squared) = "A"
square root of "A" = "B"
height vehicle raised in rear / "B" = "C"
weight of front wheels (rear raised) - weight of front wheels (rear level) = "D"
overall wheelbase length x "D" = "E"
total vehicle weight (GVW) x "C" = "F"
"E" / "F" = center of gravity height

wheelbase center of gravity:

front axle weight divided by total weight = "A"
1 - "A" = "B"
"B" x overall wheelbase = wheelbase center of gravity from the front axle

Track width center of gravity

passenger side weight (both tires) divided by total weight = "A"
1 - "A" = "B"
"B" x overall width (outer sidewall to outer sidewall) = track width center of gravity from the passenger side

Driver side rollover angle
wheel track width - wheel track COG = "A"
"A" / height COG = "B"
ATAN ("B") = degrees rollover driver side

Passenger side rollover angle
wheel track COG / height COG = "A"
ATAN ("A") = degrees rollover passenger side

Rearward rollover angle
wheelbase length - wheelbase COG = "A"
"A" / heighr COG = "B"
ATAN ("B") = degrees rearward rollover angle

Forward rollover angle
wheelbase COG / height COG = "A"
ATAN ("A") = degrees forward rollover angle

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
You're probably wanting the curb weight not the gross weight. Also ATAN on most calculators will be represented by TAN^−1.
Actually, that formula is strait out of a race manual. It does, for that equation, ask for the gross weight. It is the GVW, not the GVWR. So, one would have to weigh the vehicle with a full tank of fuel and all the fluids full. The COG is more precise if you were sitting in the vehicle, so you can figure out your breaking angle. This will allow you to know exactly how far over you can be, before you end up on your lid.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have fallen way behind on updating the FAQ with all the fixes and additions in my PM box. As soon as school is done I will be completing another round of work on the FAQ. Thank you to all who have contributed and advised me of issues

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Axle info - Toyota

I could not find this info in the FAQ though it would be good to add.

FJ40-45 axles are 57" front, 56" rear.
FJ60-62 are 60".
FJ80s are 63.5".

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Haven't seen this on here and if it is I apologize. Deleting the factory toyota straight axle brake backing plate. Instead of paying $20 for an eliminator kit just remove the plate, drill out the spot welds and seperate the two parts. Pictured is what is left, I forgot to take pics of the part that goes back onto the axle. The holes are not clean in the picture because my bit was slightly to small and I just finished the job off with some pliers. Hope this is helpful to someone.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Budget shock options, multiple lengths, including part numbers that can be picked up at any local auto parts store.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579352&page=2&highlight=cheap+shocks

Free e-brake option - good for those with rear discs

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=859210&highlight=free+brake

Best 'low lift' thread on here with pictures and good information

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=877646&highlight=low+lift

Frenched spring hangers

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98458&highlight=french

5th stud mod with tech and pictures

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495897&page=3

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1993 toyota t100 that will not turn over i have put a new starter in it. it is getting power everywherer but will not turn over i had the starter tected and it passed. i bumped started it and it will not rev up with out cutting out. What could be wrong with it?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I have a 1993 toyota t100 that will not turn over i have put a new starter in it. it is getting power everywherer but will not turn over i had the starter tected and it passed. i bumped started it and it will not rev up with out cutting out. What could be wrong with it?
And you thought this was the right spot to post this? You're a fawkin tard.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Haven't seen this on here and if it is I apologize. Deleting the factory toyota straight axle brake backing plate. Instead of paying $20 for an eliminator kit just remove the plate, drill out the spot welds and seperate the two parts. Pictured is what is left, I forgot to take pics of the part that goes back onto the axle. The holes are not clean in the picture because my bit was slightly to small and I just finished the job off with some pliers. Hope this is helpful to someone.

I did the exact same thing and it worked perfect and didn't need to spend the extra $ for the eliminator kit. This works well and saves a few $

·
Registered
222 Posts
auto to 5 speed swap with a 22re...

The only modifications you need to do are;

1. Drill hole in the fire wall for the clutch master.

2. Add clutch line. the autos are missing a weld on bracket where the hard line meets the flex line. I cut one off a truck and bolted it on.

2. Use a 5 speed pedal bracket and pedals (can modify auto ones)

3.Cut hole in transmission tunnel for shifters

4. Mount boots for shifters

5. Use 5 speed transmission mount (its different) (crossmember is the same)

6. Jump the neutral saftey switch

Aside from thats its just unbolting and bolting it.
I would also recomend removing the computer for the transmission as the at oil temp light will be on, on the dashboard.
You can also repin the harness at the gauge cluster to use a 5 speed cluster with the volt gauge instead on the ect lights. Don't ask me how. look in the FSM for an 87 or 88 and you can figure it out. (its not in the 85 fsm)

On an 85, the computer has 3 extra wires coming out of the main computer for automatic. The engine computers are the same between auto and 5 speed, so if you are really concerned you can just depin the wires from the engine computer so they arn't doing anything. Although it dosen't make a difference.

Driveshafts will be slightly different lenghts from auto to 5 speed but you can use what ever you have.

Thats about it.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts