Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine and I are in the process of building a bolt in cage for an 85 Toyota 4runner. We have bent the two hoops with 3 x 5 plates to bolt through the floor with 3 bolts each. The plates happen to co-incide with the body mount areas where the metal gauge seems to be thicker. The question is: How safe is it to bolt in a cage? Is the only safe way to do this welding it to the frame?
Any imput or criticism or "You are an idiot becuase....." would be appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The idea is to bolt in a few inches in front of where the all-pro does in this photo. Front bolts in front of mount, rear to the rear. Top side:

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
i think a couple people on here can vouch for the all-pro setup.. so if there's can hangle it, if you'rs is in a similar place, then it might work too??

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Tom- as a minimum, mount a backing plate on the underside but for the best protection, weld some tubing from those backing plates to the frame in at least 4 places.

Just my .02 ;)

BTW- show us some pics of your finished cage. I'm getting ready to build one for my daughter's 85 also ;)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the imput guys.

I will post pics of the cage when it is done along with the bumpers and nerf bars we (THAT GUY and I) bent up.

Thanks again! :beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts