Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do I get the bolt off the crankshaft pulleys, every time I try and turn it the pulleys spin. My friend recomends air tools, but I dont have access to any.

·
Registered
671 Posts
put it in gear and chock the wheels so the motor cant turn?
well at least you'll get to see how much slack is in your drive train...
peace
Jw

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Big ol breaker bar, put the tranny in HIGHEST gear, and put the ebrake on. It will give a lot, but will loosen after you put about 120 lbs on it.

The engine will take about 150 before it'll try to turn over on you, and it should loosen up long before that.

Dave

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Put a chainwrench around the crank pulley (wrapped in rags or you'll ruin the pulley;) ), the use a breaker bar and 19mm socket. Once you remove the 4 smaller bolts the large center bolt will come right out with a few tugs on the breaker bar.

Hef

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Gosh, I thought this was common knowledge, but here goes...

Put a 19mm socket on a breaker bar, put it on the pulley so that the bar is sitting against the passenger frame rail. You might want to wrap a bungee around it to hold it, although I never do. Pull the main coil wire. Get in the truck, and "bump" the starter (quick on-and-off). Never fails to work.

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
KLF said:
Gosh, I thought this was common knowledge, but here goes...

Put a 19mm socket on a breaker bar, put it on the pulley so that the bar is sitting against the passenger frame rail. You might want to wrap a bungee around it to hold it, although I never do. Pull the main coil wire. Get in the truck, and "bump" the starter (quick on-and-off). Never fails to work.
I've heard of that method but I was never into that idea. Seems kinda "hokey" to me. I would only do that as a last resort. I prefer to use the proper tool to do a job and follow the proper procedure.

I will admit sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Chain wrench might be out of budget that day and you need to get the job done, or it's 3am and the stores are closed (and you have to get to work by 9am). I just prefer to do my work by the book whenever possible.

To each his own.

Hef

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Dude, go with the starter motor and breaker bar method like KLF said it's the easiest way to do it, I've used it myself, on several motors.:D

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
bumpin the starter worked for me when i didnt have access to and impact

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Hef said:
Put a chainwrench around the crank pulley (wrapped in rags or you'll ruin the pulley;) ), the use a breaker bar and 19mm socket. Once you remove the 4 smaller bolts the large center bolt will come right out with a few tugs on the breaker bar.

Hef
Careful with the chain wrench, it's a good way to flat spot and bend the pulley sides. I've seen it go as far as fawking up the balancer. You said proper tools, that would be a good impact with the radiatore out of the way :D :D :D .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts