Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God are those guys such assholes. I went to my local service dept. to look at the FSM and Wiring Guide for my 89. I still have my cruise control problem and need more info. So they let me look at the book. No problem there.

Then I go back up to the counter and ask for copies of the cruise control section. The service writer says, "Hey, this isn't a library. You can't check out books here."

WTF?!?! I didn't ask to check out a goddamn book!! I just wanted photocopies of some pages. So I said, "Naw man, I just want to make some photocopies. I know I can't walk outta here with the books. Can I use your copier?".

He says, "Sorry man, it's broken."

"How about the one in the cashier's office?" (right behind him).

"Nope. It can't make copies from a book this big.That'd screw it up."

:confused:

Then he offers to let me take notes from it. That isn't gonna work - I need about 25 pages of info. I'd be there for days.:shaking: I politely said, "No thanks" and walked into the parts department.

WHY must they give me a hard time? If it was only this incident I wouldn't be pissed. But EVERY goddamn time I have a tech question that I need answered by Toyota it's a fucking ordeal. I spend enough money in their parts department that I feel I've earned the right for an answer here or there.

They usually try and convince me that my problem is waaaay beyond my mere mortal mechanical abilities, and I should really give them the $75/hr they want to fix it for me. Cocksuckers.

The Parts Dept. guys are the total opposite. They know me by my first name AND they know my truck!! They let me stand at the EPC and look up whatever I want while we bullshit. And this is the same damn dealership.

Anyhow, I'm done ranting.:mad:

BTW - the parts mgr. told me that the Toyota EPC will be available online at Toyota.com within a year, covering all models and going waaay back. Nice. ;)

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Let me get this straight...

You asked if you could use their copier to make copies of their manual and are pissed that they said no?

I understand your plight, but buy an FSM and be done with it. I can't see the dealer paying for the FSM and then paying again for you to make copies.... I don't think that means their cust service sucks, I think your expectations are too high...

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rockota said:
Let me get this straight...

You asked if you could use their copier to make copies of their manual and are pissed that they said no?

I understand your plight, but buy an FSM and be done with it. I can't see the dealer paying for the FSM and then paying again for you to make copies.... I don't think that means their cust service sucks, I think your expectations are too high...
It's every time I go in there for a tech question, they say "bring it in we'll fix it blah blah blah". I've given them thousands of dollars in business. I think they can give me a few minutes. Hell, I'll pay for the copies. I'm not that cheap.

As for buying the FSM I got the number to order it from the parts guy right after. I'll be buying both volumes and the wiring guide when I get back from TDS (saving every penny for the trip).

I've never had a real need for the FSM so I never bought it. Now I do so I will. As for my expectations, well.....I consider it "product support" to answer a customer's question like mine. I did it for my customers at my stereo shop in the same manner which I expect them (Toyota) to treat me.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.

Hef

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hef,
Not saying that it was wrong, but it does seem like a lot to expect if they give you a rough time everytime you go in. Cut out the middle mand and make friends with one of the mechanics. I pick my guys brain every chance I get and he doesn't mind. Find a master mechanic in the shop and next time you need work done go to him directly and cut toyota out of the deal. My guy works on the side out of his house and swapped out my 5 speed v6 transmission for $200, would have cost me about 800 through toyota.
As for the FSM there must be plenty of people on the list that have one sitting around, not sure if you tried asking about getting copies, borrowing one, getting one scanned, etc.
When it comes down to it this list will get you a few :flipoff2: but for the most part your questions answered.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Lotsa people have gotten the dealerships boys to make copies for them. It's not an irregualr occurance. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Some dealers let you, some don't... mine will let me take anyting home, as long as they where it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts