Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I started working for a machine shop again and have access to all the machines neccessary to build a doubler adapter. Does anyone have a cad file for one. Or can someone take the vital dimensions for the doubler and post them up? I searched for awhile and never found what I was looking for. If someone could help someone who has more time than money i'd appreciate it

-ben

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
DoctorDuke said:
He just gives out cad drawings and blueprints for everything they manufactor.
Really. That doesn't seem like the right way to run a business. What files did you get?
What are you making?

·
Registered
391 Posts
hbar314 said:
Really. That doesn't seem like the right way to run a business. What files did you get?
What are you making?
That was a question, not a statement. I agree that it would be strange for a business to give away information like that.

·
Registered
892 Posts
m016324 said:
Well I started working for a machine shop again and have access to all the machines neccessary to build a doubler adapter. Does anyone have a cad file for one. Or can someone take the vital dimensions for the doubler and post them up? I searched for awhile and never found what I was looking for. If someone could help someone who has more time than money i'd appreciate it

-ben
Design your own.

I don't think there will be a line forming to help you knock off Marlin's design. He has years of R&D into his product and is a great supporter of this sport.

This is bullshit.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
bullshit? how do you think the other manufacturers do it? Its not like this guy wants to copy their design and start selling them. And who said marlin was the only one selling an adapter. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against marlin or any other aftermarket company but we all build things that we could have bought. I'm sure just about everybody on this board has built or copied something that they could have ordered.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I agree, if you've got the expertise and proper equipment ready and waiting, why not make one for yourself, and if someone is willing to give him a CAD file for an adaptor, why not? If it's only for his own use, so be it, it's not like he's making money off of it. Now, on the other hand, whether he gets it right the first time without wasting a $$$$ chunk of billet aluminum is another story ;) It might just be easier/cheaper in the end to buy one from marlin, or it might not be, all depends on the machinest.

**Edit** I've built pretty much everything for my truck (spring hangers, shock mounts, bumpers, shackles, etc.) And I'm sure quite a few of the parts are based on designs other people have come up with... does that make my truck an unworthy rig? Am I stealing from the people who make money off selling that kinda stuff? I think I recall a saying "Built not Bought"... well building your own doubler can fit into that too... good luck :D

·
Registered
892 Posts
I missed where he said he's only making one....oh that's right - he didn't say that. :p Asking for a CAD file tells me he's using a CNC mill. It would really easy for him to make more than one with that setup. I thought "built not bought" meant figuring it out yourself, not creating an exact replica of something.

I've been on the receiving end of someone ripping off my design for something (unrelated to 4x4's). A patent would have protected it, but patents and attorneys are expensive. Guess I'm touchy about that shit. :flipoff2:

I just checked my MC07 - it doesn't say patent or patent pending. If it were patented, it would likely be alot more expensive.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
this is the kinda crap I got from peopel on here a few weeks ago when I was looking for the adapter plate drawings for a 203/205 doubler. hopefully someone will pm you that has the right stuff you are looking for. i was told no by a bazillion people for various reasons. most of them said that I was trying to "rip off" someone by making my doubler instead of paying someone to do all the cutting and welding. I do it for a iving, why not make my own. I guess people around here take the "built not bought" only so far. when it comes to NOT buying it from their friends, they wet their diapers. like I said, hopefully someone will pm you with the info you need. this is what happened to me, and I'm about 3/4 the was done with the design and about ready to start cutting some parts. Oh and BTW, a CAD file tells you NOTHING about what machine he's using. I personally have used cad files (my brother is an architect, does all the drawing) on laser cuttting machines, abrasive water jet cutting machines, cnc lathes, as well as cnc milling centers.

-Scott

·
Registered
892 Posts
SCOTTS_4X said:
Oh and BTW, a CAD file tells you NOTHING about what machine he's using. I personally have used cad files (my brother is an architect, does all the drawing) on laser cuttting machines, abrasive water jet cutting machines, cnc lathes, as well as cnc milling centers.
You are exactly right, a CAD file doesn't tell me what machine he's using.

Common sense tells me it's a mill. Have you even seen one of these doubler adapters? If you had, then you'd know that a mill is the only thing you could make them on. Laser cutters and waterjets are 2D and CNC lathes make round stuff.

I personally have created and used CAD files on CNC stuff too - big deal.

Did anyone ever come through with a drawing for you on the doubler you wanted to make? By the sounds of it, it seems you've taken matters into your own hands are designing it yourself. IMO, that is the true meaning of "Built not Bought"

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yeah i decide that i wanted built not bought rig so toyota sent me some drawings and here i am almost done with my brand new 83 pickup.
Bet you pussies bought your junk. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
yes, someone did come through with what I asked for, the drawings of the plates to make the adapter.

I'm now working on connecting them and getting them customized to fit my needs, then they'll be cut out and I'll have a doubler. really after I'm done with the whole thing I might save myself 100 bucks over buying one from John at Stazworks, but I want to do the work and be able to say that I built it. I want to take a peice of 1/2" plate and a peice of ex-heavy wall pipe and turn it into something cool. I want to be able to say, "yeah, I built that."

anyways, good luck to the original poster. there are still some good people out there that aren't affraid to help people with some "super secret" info. hope someone comes through, like someone did in my case.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
why not buy whatever adapter you like... make your CAD file based on measurements taken from the original... sell the adapter as "brand new, never installed!!!" in the FS forum and knock out your own at your leisure?

j

·
Vendor
4,132 Posts
Just because it's a mill does not mean it's a CNC either. I have a small manual feed mill, but i still make CAD drawings of parts because it's easier to glance at than some scrathed up table napkin!

m016324, sorry i can't help ya, but i wish ya luck. It's far past my abilities or desires to make my own.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
OOP'S said:
There is a little thing called a "Patent"!!!!
I didn't think a patent stopped anyone from making anything. I thought it only stopped someone from selling something like the patent holder.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
hbar314 said:
I didn't think a patent stopped anyone from making anything. I thought it only stopped someone from selling something like the patent holder.
You can make anything you want for your own use. If it meets the same specs as a patented product you cannot sell them!!! :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts