Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i am kinda surprised this was not found out long ago

well i have 94 4 runner with e lock swap into a 89 to 95 (51 inc housing)
and i have broken 2 diff's and i hate to say it but the second one breaking was my own stupid fault cause i knew why i broke

the stock axles are short by 10mm/13/32 causing the right side to blow all the time since the axle on sits in the cone part of the side gear and not the meaty part of the gear

so ass soon as the right side gets some bite and the other side does not snap (*&(*&(*&^(*&

but if you drive around with it not locked you will be OK since the right side is not the drive wheel thus why it will only break with it locked

oh marlin is maken a new gear set for the e lock tell then just so you know to fix this it will cost 700 ich bones from the dealer

so to fix this you just shorten your housing down 10mm/13/32 on each side and the problem is fixed

or the one idea i have yet to try get 96 to 00 axles and chop off 2 Inc's or of the spline

i am not sure if this is possible thou

cheers for now
Ryan

PS my grammar sucks so deal with it

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Very good info, I'm putting a E-locker in the front of a buddies rig next weekend, sounds like we may have some parts scrounging to do before them... I wonder if Bobby would whip out a set of inners 10mm longer..

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Both sides of those things can break, and both sides are driven whether the locker is open or locked. It just gets more abuse when its locked.
All the complaints I've heard were for breaking the locking side though. Since you broke the non-locking side, you may be able to replace that with a side gear from a stock V6 diff. I've heard they are the same.

Some of the early 90's housings are about 1/2" wider than some of the late 80's housings, but I don't think the axle shafts are any different, but I'm not sure. If they are the same as the earlier shafts, they might not have as much spline engagement, so maybe that is why some of them are breaking side gears like that.

Interesting thought on using the longer axle shafts in the shorter housings for more spline engagement though. The Tacoma and 3rd gen axle shafts are about 1" longer than the earlier ones. They might just fit with some trimming if the splines are long enough.
The the longer Tacoma shafts in those early 90's housings wouldn't need quite as much trimming as the earlier housings would.
Some people say the Tacoma shafts are weaker...

·
Registered
280 Posts
This has been discussed as a solution for some time. I have yet to see anyone try it. One thing to keep in mind is that the drivers side side gear also lacks that engagement, but is beefier, so it never fails. I wonder if the engineers intentionally left 10mm of the sidegear without engagement for some reason. Does it happen on other diffs? Toyota engineers have made mistakes before, but not very often.

Bobby has been asked about making a replacement sidegear and didn't feel like there was enough demand. I assume custom inner longs are still only available at FROR.

Tell me more about Marlins 'gearset'. I assume it is a full set of spiders. Is it any different than the dealer replacement part other than price?

·
Registered
137 Posts
On a factory TRD housing, do the axle splines contact all the way? Or is it just because the axles from 89-95 trucks/4runners are shorter than the tacoma TRD axles? If so, would the axle from a tacoma work in these 89-95 housings?

Nashman - what size tires are you running? If they are huge, maybe that is why you are having problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so mine is all done now shorten by 1/2 inc both sides for full in engagement

so i am good to go

only issue i was left with was my rear end was shorter

so i took the 1.5 inc spacer off the front stuck it in the rear and bought a set of 3 inc spacer's from trail gear now all i have to do now is cut them down 1/2 inc and i am good to go plus 2 extra inc of with

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This has been discussed as a solution for some time. I have yet to see anyone try it. One thing to keep in mind is that the drivers side side gear also lacks that engagement, but is beefier, so it never fails. I wonder if the engineers intentionally left 10mm of the sidegear without engagement for some reason. Does it happen on other diffs? Toyota engineers have made mistakes before, but not very often.

Bobby has been asked about making a replacement sidegear and didn't feel like there was enough demand. I assume custom inner longs are still only available at FROR.

Tell me more about Marlins 'gearset'. I assume it is a full set of spiders. Is it any different than the dealer replacement part other than price?

that is what they told me that they will have none cast peace's made

all they told me is it will be awhile tell they come out ?

give them a ring they might get there butts in gear

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a factory TRD housing, do the axle splines contact all the way? Or is it just because the axles from 89-95 trucks/4runners are shorter than the tacoma TRD axles? If so, would the axle from a tacoma work in these 89-95 housings?

Nashman - what size tires are you running? If they are huge, maybe that is why you are having problems.

r 15 35 bfg km2's there one of the lighest tire

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Both sides of those things can break, and both sides are driven whether the locker is open or locked. It just gets more abuse when its locked.
All the complaints I've heard were for breaking the locking side though. Since you broke the non-locking side, you may be able to replace that with a side gear from a stock V6 diff. I've heard they are the same.

sadly it does not swap ):

·
Registered
137 Posts
so mine is all done now shorten by 1/2 inc both sides for full in engagement

so i am good to go

only issue i was left with was my rear end was shorter

so i took the 1.5 inc spacer off the front stuck it in the rear and bought a set of 3 inc spacer's from trail gear now all i have to do now is cut them down 1/2 inc and i am good to go plus 2 extra inc of with
Did you shorten it or did you have someone else do it? How much was it if you had to pay for it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i got some els to do it for me since my welder it is not a 220

but it is easy thou

cut off were Toyota has the pinch welded it to the machined part of the axle flange

cut down housing slip over the flange re weld back on

and make sure it's straight that's about it

no perch relow's nothing it pretty straight forward

PS measher you shit befor doing this

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
i got some els to do it for me since my welder it is not a 220

but it is easy thou

cut off were Toyota has the pinch welded it to the machined part of the axle flange

cut down housing slip over the flange re weld back on

and make sure it's straight that's about it

no perch relow's nothing it pretty straight forward

PS measher you shit befor doing this

you need spell and grammer check..:flipoff2: we all mispell a little once and a while but damn..or are you a FLATbiller homie dood and dats just the way you roll:laughing::D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
you need spell and grammer check..:flipoff2: we all mispell a little once and a while but damn..or are you a FLATbiller homie dood and dats just the way you roll:laughing::D
it had to be said, day-am!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fallow up

i can hop this sucker all day long no issues at all

after looking at that other diff's pic

i cut off 1/2 inc both side for full spine engagement

then ran spacers to fix the off set

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Must not be hopping that bad if you haven't broken the ring and pinion yet.
Keep trying and let us know what breaks first. :D

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Some of the early 90's housings are about 1/2" wider than some of the late 80's housings, but I don't think the axle shafts are any different, but I'm not sure. If they are the same as the earlier shafts, they might not have as much spline engagement, so maybe that is why some of them are breaking side gears like that.
The shafts are ~7mm longer on the wider 90-95 4Runner coil sprung axle and given the original post I wonder if he is using the narrower leaf spring shafts in a coil spring housing?

The below are rough measurements in mm accurate to likely +/-2mm, all measurements are taken from the inner edge of the bearing retainer snap ring.

3rd gen 4runner shaft:

2nd gen 4Runner shaft, do not mind the rotor as I was using it to mock something up:

86-95 leaf sprung shaft:

98 4Runner in the middle, coil sprung 2nd gen 4Runner(90-95) on the left and leaf sprung(86-95) on the right:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts