Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wondering how they compare to others!

check out my carnage. this is the second time i have ripped the frame. i plan on fixing it this time by plating it with 1/4" and putting a brace behind the shock mount this time.:eek:

:eek:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Its not the frame, its the shitty way you are doing your shock mounts...

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I agree with Crash. The frame is fine. You are putting too much of a load in too little of an area with your shock mount configuration. If I were to guess I would say that your shocks are probably limiting your front suspension travel also. This puts even more strain on the frame where your shock mount connects.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this was my first attempt at this. they have been on this way for over a year. they do limit the down travel.

what are your suggestions on how to fix this right then? i need to build in some gussets in the back bahind the shock mount. and lower the mount. hows that sound?

·
Registered
961 Posts
What I did was to take the truck out and flex it out and measure up and down travel . Then set up your bumpstops and shock mounts to avoid the truck sitting on the shock or the axle hanging from it. If you do it right, you won't break your mounts.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks.

heres the plan. i'm going to cut the shock mounts down a little. add gusetts, and plate the frame on both sides and i belive this will never happen again!:(

·
Registered
726 Posts
Tony Sobrito said:
I hope your steering arm fares better than your shock tower :eek:

Ditto

WOW steer with that Arm ??

Not with my kid in the runner

Just be carefull with it.:eek:

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
You blame that on the frame??? I blame that on shitty design work!!!! My shock mounts are not the best in the world but I did brace them!!!! Think about a thing called LEVERAGE!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey if you can find me a better steering arm to work with a fj60 steering box thats not 10" inches long, and works with only 3 tinches of lift on a lot of travel, hook me up. but it works and hasn't broken. i took a lot of time welding it together and making sure the heat was just right. no bugger welds on my truck!

yes i agree that i screwed the shocks up. i was in a hurry to get them on. i was just looking for some suggestions and wondering how strong the frame was. this is the first time i have ripped something off the frame. besides that round tubing under the bed. mine was pretty rusted out there.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
mine did that too bc i never braced the back of them (used ford mounts). Now I'm going to pound the mount back flush in the frame, weld it up, and add gussets to the back. Do the gussets need to go from the frame all the way to the top of the mount, or would they be okay connecting only a few inches up? I was thinking of cutting triangular pieces out of box tubing for the braces.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I was just underneath my friends f150 15minutes ago c channel iabout laughed told him to go check out my toyota full boxed &hot rolled ,like the other guys said dont get much stronger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts