Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a toy front axle work in an SUA configuration? i ask because one will damn near bolt in to my old Land Rover, and is a really huge upgrade in strength from the factory 10 spline JUNK.

no, i dont want to convert to SOA and i can run 35s easily SUA with trimming, so i am going to go for stability. and it doesnt flex THAT bad.

another question.

my diffs are PS offset front and rear. what i want to do is take a 66" wide T100 rearend and cut down the passenger side 11", giving me a 55" wide axle and 5.5" offset to match my 6.5" offset transfer. will this work? is there a factory toyota rear axleshaft that i could use in the short side or would the T100 shaft have to be resplined?

thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can make anything work if you put your $$ and mind to it.

I think the SUA front will be easier to do than the T100 rear... which side is your diff offset to? If it's the pass side have you considered an FJ60 rear axle?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes passenger side

what width is a FJ60 rear? i am a toy/cruiser noob so will the 8" diffs fit in the 60 axle?

thanks

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
The Tacoma is, IIRC, 63" WMS to WMS. It's the same diff as the T100. Maybe you could cut that to fit your needs?

Or do you need the wider axle to get more offset?

Either way you're into at least one custom axle.

Here's an idea: Buy a Toyota. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

i need to get close to 6.5" of offset, so if i cut 11" off a T100 to get 55" WMS to match the toy front and also a 5.5" offset

wheres the best place to find a T100 rear end?

·
Registered
351 Posts
what width is a FJ60 rear?
Not sure. You could ask on the cruiser board, maybe matching FJ60 or FJ40 axles front and rear would be the way to go for you, to avoid custom shafts. You might have to settle for an inch or two wider/narrower and just make the wheel offset work for you. Either way you're looking at making your own perches, for the SUA. I would be inclined to use something that doesn't require custom shafts, so when one breaks a replacement isn't $$$$.

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
I have front and rear axles from a 78 fj40 if you are interested.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
rusted said:
The Tacoma is, IIRC, 63" WMS to WMS. It's the same diff as the T100. Maybe you could cut that to fit your needs?

Or do you need the wider axle to get more offset?

Either way you're into at least one custom axle.

Here's an idea: Buy a Toyota. :flipoff2:
I'm not sure what [IIRC] is but I have a stock 8.4" non TRD tacoma rear axle...it is 60" WMS-WMS not 63"
saw a guy put a toy axle in a sas trooper, sua, had highsteer with stock steering that way, he he..lol

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Scotttaco said:
I have front and rear axles from a 78 fj40 if you are interested.
Ding ding ding....

55"wms stock and SU.

What else could you want???

P.s. longfields will work for it as well..

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jason M said:

Ding ding ding....

55"wms stock and SU.

What else could you want???

P.s. longfields will work for it as well..
are they 30 spline and all that good stuff? whats the spring center pin distance?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Why not use a 68+ Landcruiser Axle shaft for your short side? They are 33mm/30 spline same as the 8" Diffs in trucks/4Runners and the 8.4" in the Tacoma/T-100. Not sure if the outer bearing would be the same but you could simply press off the old one and press on a new one in whatever style you needed. I think Poppycock on the board made an 3" offset 8" truck axle using Landcruiser and truck parts for a samuri a while back. Maybee some of the Cruiser guys could give you measurements of their FJ-40/60 short sides?

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
9V said:

are they 30 spline and all that good stuff? whats the spring center pin distance?
They are 1978 fine splined. I can measure the spring pin distance if you need it.

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
9V said:
that would be cool. what are you looking to get for them?
$400 for the front, $350 for the back. But I am open to trades or offers.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
An FJ-40 rear axle would be PERFECT for what you're trying to do. You could even put a super beefy electric locking third member from an FJ-80 in it.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
FJ40/55 axles are 55" wms-wms. FJ60 axles are three inches wider on the long side.

'78+ gets you finespline all around.

In a sprung under rover with 35s unless you're really gonzo, I'd bet you'd never break anything. If so, it'd be a birfield, and there are many upgrades available.

The only thing Landys have over USA Cruisers is full floater rear, but FF axles are available from the big Cruiser suppliers. Unless you run a FF rear, you won't be able to fit a *J80 electric locker.

I believe Series trucks have their spring purches 1.5" outboard the axle on the front compared to the factory Cruiser, can't say about the rear. (only reason I know is C303 and Series trucks have the same spring width, whereas on my 55, I had to move the volvo perches inboard 1.5" or so to fit the Cruiser.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts