Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if such a beast even exists???

If not, wondering if anyone ever thought about taking the time to take the important sections, scan them and convert them to PDF.

I have a scanner and a pdf writer, but no FSM. I know that the FSM is an invaluable piece of knowledge, but I'm a cheap fawker and I'm trying to get my junk accumulated right now....

Maybe I'll break down and buy one someday.:rolleyes:

Anybody wanna ship me their FSM to scan and convert??? I doubt it, but it never hurts to ask.

Vinnie
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
help me out here. what is a fsm scanner

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
camo said:
help me out here. what is a fsm scanner

Factory Service Manual

IMHO - it would be sweet to have an indexed PDF of the entire manual!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DRM said:

Factory Service Manual

IMHO - it would be sweet to have an indexed PDF of the entire manual!
Thats what I was thinking!!!!!

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
if you will really scan it i will dig up a fsm. it would be a great toyota refrence to have online at pirate4x4

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
how many pages is it and how long will you need the manual ?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea how many pages it is. I'm sure it would take quite a while though. I was thinking the same thing camo, having it as an online reference here at Pirate.

I have limited time, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. My scanner is kinda slow. I could do some here at work and some at home. It may take a while, but the end result would be incredible. You could pull up and print whatever page you want.

If there is someone out there w/more time and a scanner, I'll make sure you get a copy of the PDF writer;) .

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
well since i am gonna need to borrow a fsm i need a time estimate.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that it would take at least a couple of minutes per page to scan and save at a propber dpi (BTW, I'm open to suggestions on what dpi to use).

That being said, multiply no. of pages by 2 min. just for scanning. After all are scanned, the FSM can be returned and then I can take the scans and make the PDF files. Is the FSM in a 'binder' or is it a bound book? If it's in a binder then that would make everything soooooo much easier.

I have never even seen a toy FSM, so I have no idea how thick these are. Also, we could incorporate other usefull info into the 'Pirate pdf section', such as toyota part numbers, chevy spring faq, axle rebuild tech, vendor lists, pictures, basically anything. Its pretty much wide open, and I'm more than willing to help.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't think so....

Dude.

Just the Chasis one is like 3 inches thick! It would take you a freakin' year! There are three books in all (at least for my pickup's year 91)

The best approach would be to saw the binding off of one and run it through one of those fast multi-page document feeder deals.

I'd scan it at around 150dpi in greyscale. If the person doing this had a mac, you wouldn't need a pdf writer as pdf is now the native format for documents.

I thought about doing this but ended up just buying the thing. The hours involved make it a heroic and selfless task, with plenty of payoff for other people aside from the poor schmuck that does the work!

Takers? :D

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
so can we get this fsm on cd ?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I would be up for the task. I would think 50 or so pages a night is possible. My scanner is pretty quick. I would have to familiarize myself with a PDF writer, never done it but sure it isnt that hard.
I would think a week or 2 with a manual would be enough time.

Question is what really differs from year to year. I may even be able to get a manual from Offroadrunner, he has one of his own not sure what year it was or which volume. but also has access to all of them for all makes.

Invinibletoy you want to get me the PDF info I would need and I will search for a manual on my end. and anyone who wants to help out would be great. Get 3 guys each to do 1 volume or something. I will look into this though. Im sure the file size wont be small either. definetly black and white.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I was proposing... to eventually get it on a CD in PDF format, then anyone could read/access it.

But, I had no idea how thick it was. If there was someone local here that would be willing to scan it through a multipage deal like mentioned above, that would be sweet. But, I'm sure that scanning copywritten info has some kind of penalty:rolleyes: .

Maybe just scan the important parts! I dunno, it was just a thought. But, what is 'important' to one wheeler may not mean squat to someone else.

If someone already made it on CD, that would be the ticket!

I already have the toy EPC on CD, I downloaded it from the net.
(Electronic Parts Catalog).

Maybe it exists somewhere out there.......

:(

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JamisonWorkshop said:
I would be up for the task. I would think 50 or so pages a night is possible. My scanner is pretty quick. I would have to familiarize myself with a PDF writer, never done it but sure it isnt that hard.
I would think a week or 2 with a manual would be enough time.

Question is what really differs from year to year. I may even be able to get a manual from Offroadrunner, he has one of his own not sure what year it was or which volume. but also has access to all of them for all makes.

Invinibletoy you want to get me the PDF info I would need and I will search for a manual on my end. and anyone who wants to help out would be great. Get 3 guys each to do 1 volume or something. I will look into this though. Im sure the file size wont be small either. definetly black and white.
Is the FSM even in color??? I'm mainly interested in the first and second gen pick-ups, but then there are 4-runners and 3rd gen stuff, etc. I agree w/splitting up the work load though. All parties working on it would have to use the same settings though to get a good product in the end. If we could just get some guys out there to do the scan work, one person could do the pdfs in a short amount of time.

JamisonWorkshop, my email addy is [email protected], email me and I can get you the writer, it's really easy to use.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I am dloading the writer right now from Kazaa. Got that covered.

The wiring diagrams I am sure are in color for detail.

Just got to know what everyone really wants from a manual.
There is some of it that just isnt needed.

Where did you get the EPC. That would be great to have as well.
I will be over Toyota this evening and will talk to Ofroadrunner and see what I can get from him. and what the best approach to this is. Will go from there.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't remember for sure, the word cruiserpages comes to mind though. If you have a fast connection, maybe I could upload it to a FTP site somewhere or just put it in my imesh shared folder and you could search for it and get it that way. I like imesh much better than kazaa. Way too much to email though, 2 full cd's.

Let me know what you find out this evening, I think it would be a worthwhile undertaking.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
JamisonWorkshop said:
I am dloading the writer right now from Kazaa. Got that covered.

The wiring diagrams I am sure are in color for detail.

Just got to know what everyone really wants from a manual.
There is some of it that just isnt needed.

Where did you get the EPC. That would be great to have as well.
I will be over Toyota this evening and will talk to Ofroadrunner and see what I can get from him. and what the best approach to this is. Will go from there.
I have an 85 FSM that I have already cut the binding off(much easier to copy that way). I would guestimate it at about 900 pages. The only part that is color is the Auto transmission Hydraulic section. I have been scanning it in to my docutech to make copies. If you wanted to borrow it let me kow. We could probably meet somewhere.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kajo4x4toy said:

I have an 85 FSM that I have already cut the binding off(much easier to copy that way). I would guestimate it at about 900 pages. The only part that is color is the Auto transmission Hydraulic section. I have been scanning it in to my docutech to make copies. If you wanted to borrow it let me kow. We could probably meet somewhere.
Attaboy, team player, I hear ya. We'll get this done sooner or later!!!

Anybody else wanna help!?:D

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Alright, Elecronic parts catalog is at Yankeetoys.com

Kajo4x4toy I may get you up on that, what all is covered in what you have. That may be the way to go.

By the time would get done with Toyotas there probably wouldnt be much left, and I aint paying for it.

85 is probably the year to go with as well. I work in Tysons Corner, Where are you in comparison. See what we can do.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
JamisonWorkshop said:
Alright, Elecronic parts catalog is at Yankeetoys.com

Kajo4x4toy I may get you up on that, what all is covered in what you have. That may be the way to go.

By the time would get done with Toyotas there probably wouldnt be much left, and I aint paying for it.

85 is probably the year to go with as well. I work in Tysons Corner, Where are you in comparison. See what we can do.
I work in south-east DC but live South of Alexandria near Mt. Vernon. When do you get off of work. I know Tyson's corner and could meet you or I could probably even take a long lunch and drive up to meet you to avoid rush hour traffic.

the 85 is a complete FSM. The only thing it doesn't have for my 4Runner is the power steering box and that is because I have crossover steering. I built my dual cases and set up my gears using this manual.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts