Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much backspacing on a relatively stock toyota 4WD p/u to fit 33x12.50's on it.... I realize there would be a lift involved but my question is for someone else and he can't go straight axle right now, so whats it take to clear the IFS (if anything)...

TIA

:usa:

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Typical backspacing on an 8" wheel is 3.5" - 3.75" for an IFS toy.

Either throw on a 2" body lift or a 1.5" block in the rear, crank up the t-bars and throw the tires on it.

PS. Weld the rear and beat the snot out of it.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Priest - is that stock back spacing, or is that what guys "typically" run to clear a 33x12.50 OR is that stock and what works for 33x12.50s.... just looking for clarifiaction before he spends money on rims he can't use

TIA

·
Registered
25,113 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
When I bought my 87 4runner it had 33x12.5 BFG MT's on stock SR5 aluminum wheels with an add a leaf in the rear and the torsion bars cranked up and some fender trimming. I didn't wheel it much before doing the SAS and BL but it did alright .

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
YellowSub1962 said:
Thanks guys.

Priest - is that stock back spacing, or is that what guys "typically" run to clear a 33x12.50 OR is that stock and what works for 33x12.50s.... just looking for clarifiaction before he spends money on rims he can't use

TIA

Sorry Pete, I'm not sure what the factory backspacing is that is just what most guys run on an IFS rig. If you push them out there very far it is easy to start having bearing problems.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone!

Paz, I'll check it out, but I don't plan on remembering much from TDS this year;):D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Cut fenders front and back, the wheels stuff great in the rear (any LESS backspacing, and the wheels would hit the edge of the fender and require more trimming).

any pics on how much you cut your fenders?

dave

·
Registered
25,113 Posts
davefj40 said:
any pics on how much you cut your fenders?
dave
Not much, check out this pic and compare to the pics of the stock beige fenders above. Something like 2 inches, following the stock fender lines. Any more than that in the rear opens up the seam between the outer skin and the wheel tub, allowing wet smelly crap to come in :eek: In the front, you are really limited more by the inner tub and firewall, the outer skin is for decoration :D Maybe I'll get some side shots while flexing this weekend at TDS (I need to hire a professional wheelin' photographer, the damned people in other rigs never get my good side! :D )

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Stock BS should be 4.75" IIRC.

I run 33's on 15x8's with 4" of BS, 1" bodylift and a little fender chewing on a 95 with IFS. Should be fine in the 4" +/- area, not sure on the rear lift for a p/u though.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Pazuzu said:

Not much, check out this pic and compare to the pics of the stock beige fenders above. Something like 2 inches, following the stock fender lines. Any more than that in the rear opens up the seam between the outer skin and the wheel tub, allowing wet smelly crap to come in :eek: In the front, you are really limited more by the inner tub and firewall, the outer skin is for decoration :D Maybe I'll get some side shots while flexing this weekend at TDS (I need to hire a professional wheelin' photographer, the damned people in other rigs never get my good side! :D )
with with a 2" Body lift and 33x10.5x15 on 3.75 BS rims i should be good without fender hacking? this is stuff i have for my 4runner sitting around until i get my garage done to do the SAS.

dave

·
Registered
25,113 Posts
davefj40 said:

with with a 2" Body lift and 33x10.5x15 on 3.75 BS rims i should be good without fender hacking? this is stuff i have for my 4runner sitting around until i get my garage done to do the SAS.

dave
Probably not. Lot's of people have run 33s with a 2 inch BL, but I think you HAVE to do some work to get it right. Hammer the front wheelwell fender seams, some trimming. I first ran the 33s with no body lift but about 2 inches suspension lift (rear springs and cranked T-bar), I rubbed all over, but the springs flexed more than stock.

Best way to solve body rubbing with no cutting? Severe bumpstops in rear (flex it up and see where the bump stop must be before the tire hits anything), crank your steering stops WAY out in front (the rear of a front tire hits the firewall seam at full crank). You'll never get the flex out of the front IFS to have the tire hit the *top* of the wheelwell :rolleyes:

·
Registered
652 Posts
i was gonna pound the firewall seems, will need that done if not more when i SAS it. probably put the chebby's i have in the rear with a single shackle, not the double. guess i'll just do it and see if i need to cut the fenders any.

thanks

dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts