Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this could be in the toyota section, i will be flamed either way. My girlfriend has a 91 ifs v6 auto yota. I have a set of blocks laying around that i could throw in back, and up front you can tweek the torsion bars, correct? Any articles or anything on this off the top of anyone's head? I always see it, but I have a solid axle, so have never paid attention. So how to do it, what else is needed, do i need brake lines or steering adjustments, so on. Thanks a ton,

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,321 Posts
you can crank on the torsion bars, but you will lose some articulation. I've heard of people doing and being happy with it, but then I've heard of people hating it so much they cranked them back to normal.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I had a 91 and did exactly what you want to do. If you only want a 1" or 2" you will be ok. If you crank it up any more, the camber gets off angle and you can break the idler arm. I broke mine by just running over a pot hole.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
unfortunately, there are drawbacks to cranking up the torsion bars.

My wheeling buddy did that on his yota, and the result was worse articulation than the stock IFS. (if that's possible).

Although if she is only going to drive it on the street, and never take it offroad, I can't see that being an issue.

·
Registered
24,991 Posts
Run them up about 1.5 inches, it'll still run fine and handle bumps fine. I run mine about 2 inches, it's a bit stiff up there :rolleyes:

Might want to buy a whole new set of adjustment bolts and nuts, they have a tendency to snap when you try to adjust the factory assembly. Pretty cheap insurance to make sure you don't accidentally put your front suspension out of commission for a few days...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If you do it, do like 2" tweak. And what size blocks? Add-a-leaf would be better. Also, get new shocks after you do it, and you will recover a bit of the downtravel.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks you guys. I was going to put 2 inch blocks on, and yes I was looking at new shocks. Mostly the truck is a street pounder, some of the time she takes it off road, but if it ever gets serious, we always take my truck (Its all about the straight axle!). Thanks for all the help, sound like 2 inch blocks and about 1.5 to 2 inches on the torsion bars. If she breaks anthing, I can find a way to blame it on her anyway... :p

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dont worry, not that stupid. It is a truck, with leafs, and I have leaf blocks. thanks for your concern. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
if you use 2" blocks, the parking brake cable will rub on the bottom of the leaf pack. you'll need 3" blocks or you'll need something like roger brown's little extenders to run the cable over the springs. i'd get teh rancho soft ride AAL kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts