Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 pickup that won't get any spark. I stalled it on a trail last weekend, and ever since it won't spark. Already checked coil, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, and changed ignitor. I am confused, what else could be causing this problem? Does the ECM have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Blwon fusible link in underhood fuse box, or a bad fuse under the dash? Have you pulled and tested each of the fuses?

You mentioned the ECM, so I assume it's an EFI motor and not carbed, correct?

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
i agree with fuse under the hood. had the same thing happen to me. gauges died, everyhitng but it still ran until i shut it off.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Do you get any power when you turn it to the on position? Does your gas guage show power when u turn it to the on position? If it doesnt, check the AM2(i think) fuse under the hood. the vehicle wont get any fire if this link is dead.

Also, it could be the one of the relay switches in the fuse block under the hood. I had to replace one once but i cant remember which one it was. I'm pretty sure it was the silver round one. (starter relay) Whenever u take off the + terminal and touch it to the battery, you should hear it 'click'. If it doesnt, replace that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already checked all of the fuses, and none of them were bad. i also already replaced one of relays under the hood. Still no spark.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
check fusible link, make sure all connections are tight, no shorts anywhere. by saying it doesnt have spark, i'm assuming it turns over. make sure all your grounds are still attached, etc. if your not getting fire at the coil pay attention to any connectors related to it first, then look down the chain...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it turns over and everything inside the truck still works, it just won't run. I checked the fuseablelinks already and they look fine.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm not familiar with 1991 but you didn't mention anything about the pickup coil inside the distributor. This has the magnet lobes going past it, telling the ignition when to fire. The sensing surface has to be close enough to the magnet lobes too. An ohmeter will tell you if that coil is good or not.

·
Registered
315 Posts
dead

I would check the coil resistance (see manual for values) and see if you are getting power to the ignitor/coil assembly, most likely not. Then check the wires going to the distirbutor and make sure there aren't any shorts or open circuits.

Jeff S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts