Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
******EDIT*******
A few people have mentioned to me that they could not get the 5th gear off the output shaft as it is pressed on.
It seems that if you have the older R series with the nut on the end of the counter shaft then this mod becomes more difficult.
On my R series (circlip on the output) the 5th simply slid off and on by hand.
I went back to the R151 manual linked above and found that the 5th is indeed pressed on for these older model R series.

Further to this two people that have managed to get the gear off these R series boxes with the nut have found the gear I list below does not fit their gearboxes.

So before buying anything check what box type you have as there seem to be differences in the R series depending on age.
I have put a new link into the post below at the relevant section (pic of the different gearboxes by age)
*****END EDIT******

I wrote this guide for an Australian 4WD forum but since I found much of the information that helped me carry out this mod on this forum I thought it only fair to post it here too.

This is a guide on how to swap a Toyota Dyna 5th gear from an R452 into an R series (150/151) gearbox.
The point of the Dyna 5th gear is to get a 30% overdrive as opposed to the standard but more on that later.
There is plenty of info on this scattered over the web but I couldn't find a single source that had all the info for someone that was coming from a basic understanding of gearboxes and wanted to try this themselves.
Due to the limit on URL's in a single post I have had to split this up into multiple posts.

Some background on why I started looking into this.
My LN106 Hilux (Truck) - '3L' 2.8 litre Diesel Dual cab was running a G series G52 gearbox and I had read that swapping it for an R series R150 or R151 was a very common upgrade for those wanting a stronger box. I picked up an R15x (wasn't sure which) for $500 with a low profile crossmember and a bellhousing conversion for the G52 bellhousing (I believe an R series out of an LN130 will bolt on).
I had this in the shed waiting until I did the clutch.

I had also recently put 33" tyres on and found the 4.3 stock diff gears weren't great low down. I started looking for 4.55 diffs but when a 4.88 with a Detroit locker came up for crazy cheap I got that instead (ended up putting together a 4 pinion 4.88 and a spartan for the front too).

The results of the 4.88s low down and around town are great. On the highway - not so great.
I'm reving at 2700 - 2800 (remember its an old mechanical injected Diesel so redline is a little over 3000rpm) to sit on 100kph which is not only noisy as hell but boosts around 9psi, uses more fuel and gets temps up towards 100c on hills/slopes in the highway at 100kph.

I found a good gear ratio calculator that can workout speed (in miles) and revs based on diff and gear ratios:
http://johnmaherracing.com/calculators/gear-ratio-calculator/

100kph = 62mph

This is the G52 at 100. (tyre size is 32.4 as that's what my 33" measure)

Our other car is a diesel Peugeot with a six speed box that can sit at 110 in 6th at 2000rpm. This got me thinking how good would a 6th gear be in my Lux? Impossible obviously but then I found forum posts about people putting Dyna (light truck) gearboxes in their Hilux's to get a 30%.
One forum name that popped up in a few places was a guy called 'ozrunner' who had most of the info and had done the swap. I couldn't find a single place that had the whole process described in detail so decided that I'd write my own.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/714909-gear-drive-t-case-r-series-trans-3.html
Toyota 4WD Surf Owners • View topic - R150 and R154 gearbox differences???
R452 Overdrive gear set
This was exactly what I wanted!

The ratio differences between the various Toyota boxes:
G52 -
First Gear: 3.928
Second Gear: 2.333
Third Gear: 1.451
Fourth Gear: 1.000
Fifth Gear: 0.851

R150F -
First Gear: 3.830:1
Second Gear: 2.062:1
Third Gear: 1.436:1
Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
Fifth Gear: 0.838:1

R151F -
First Gear: 4.313:1 **note the higher first gear ratio - the 151 is the rarer of the two R series boxes**
Second Gear: 2.330:1
Third Gear: 1.436:1
Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
Fifth Gear: 0.836:1

Dyna fifth: 0.69
23/49 (5th and counter gear teeth) = 0.469 x 1.482 (cluster ratio) = 0.695 = 30% OD

R15x fifth:
26/46 (5th and counter gear teeth) = 0.565 x 1.482 (cluster ratio) = 0.836 = 17% OD

Expected engine revs with .69 overdrive:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Using some of the forum posts I found a few pages that list Toyota part numbers and tracked down the part numbers for the R452 5th gear and counter gear (obviously both the drive and counter gear must be swapped as a set).
TOYOTA DYNA 150/TOYOACE G15 LY131-PGMES, 33428 GEAR, COUNTERSHAFT 5TH

I gave Toyota parts in Brisbane a call on the off chance I might be surprised by their prices (yeah right).
They were helpful in one way - they were able to give me the superseded part numbers for the current gears.
As for price well they wanted $158 for the 5th gear ( I got it for $48) and they couldn't even quote for the counter gear as they couldn't get it (it was $150 when I bought it so I hate to think what Toyota would have charged).

After this I was looking for a good place to buy the gears online and I stumbled on to
Amayama Trading
Which is actually an Australian based distributor that buys from manufacturers in japan. They had good reviews on the forums I checked using google so I decided to go with them.

The parts needed:
5th gear
33336-25030 - Amayama - $50
Search for Genuine Parts - Amayama Trading

5th counter gear
33046-25030 - Amayam $160
Search for Genuine Parts - Amayama Trading

I paid a total of $AU221 for the gears delivered. The $AU exchange rate has dropped a bit since I bought mine so the price could well be higher now. I was actually surprised how cheap new, genuine gears were.
Amayama had the gears delivered to me in just over two weeks which I thought was pretty good.
Overall I rate the service Amayama provide as excellent and recommend them highly.

Other parts that I ended up getting based on the condition of my R series, but were not essential, were:

Output shaft bearing -
Toyota 90363-30047 or Nachi 031BC05
Toyota R150, R151, Main Shaft Bearing (Rear) (31mm ID, 59mm OD, 17mm Thick)

Transfer shaft seal (internal) -
Toyota 90311-40007 40.5 x 58 x 8

I also decided to do the clutch and rear main seal when I pulled the gearbox (which I'm yet to do). I've done the rear main a few years ago and really should have sleeved as it still leaks slightly (nowhere near like it did) so I will be putting a shaft sleeve on this time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On to the actual removal of the gears

I've never opened a gearbox before but with the help of the two Toyota manuals I found online (links below) I saw that getting at the 5th gears didn't actually require opening the gearbox proper - you only need to remove the transfer adaptor.
Note that the factory manuals show how to disassemble the entire gearbox - not how to remove 5th gear in the easiest possible way.

Toyota repair manuals:
R150f
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9IqxGla8PCKWUtaa0ZIa2ZSYXM/view?usp=sharing

R151f
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9IqxGla8PCKM3UwNUpfMTUyZzA/view?usp=sharing

'Special' tools I used:
gear puller
harmonic balancer puller
5mm punch

The R series without bellhousing

Drain the gearbox oil before starting. If the transfer is leak free and has good oil there is no need to drain that as it is sealed from the gearbox and won't leak oil when split from teh rest of the box.

Remove all bolts around the outside of the gearbox that hold the transfer case to the transfer adaptor.

Transfer adaptor with transfer removed:

Transfer case:

Transfer adaptor from rear showing the internal seal:

Next remove all bolts holding gearbox to transfer adaptor.
When you remove the transfer adaptor it needs to rotate so that the shift lever can come out of the shift forks - it can't be pulled straight back and off:

Transfer adaptor removed reveals the 5th gear components - gear, counter gear, shift fork and synchro:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There are two circlips - one on the output shaft and one on the countershaft - that need to be removed.
Note that some R series gearboxes use a nut on the countershaft.

******EDIT*******
A few people have mentioned to me that they could not get the 5th gear off the output shaft as it is pressed on.
It seems that if you have the older R series with the nut on the end of the counter shaft then this mod becomes more difficult.
On my R series (circlip on the output) the 5th simply slid off and on by hand.
I went back to the R151 manual linked above and found that the 5th is indeed pressed on for these older model R series.

Others that have tried have come across problems when attempting this mod on teh gearboxes that have the nut rather than the circlip.

I found this interesting info on a Kiwi forum that may be the answer:
http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27458
"ive run into the same problem.
i have a r150 from a 94 surf which has the nut on the end of the shaft not the circlip. standard fifth gear teeth counts are 26t & 46t dyna gears are 23 & 49.
i ordered dyna 5th gears from amayama, part numbers 33336-25030 (on mainshaft) and 33046-25030 (on countershaft)
the main gear fits but the counter gear doesnt. ive found more part numbers for the counter gear and think 33046-25011 is the one i need but amayama cant supply it.
it seems 25010, 25011,25012 are all the same counter gear for pre 1995 & 25020 & 25030 are for 1995+.
im trying to find a supplier has anybody accomplished this mod yet?"
*****END EDIT******

I found this pic on pirate4x4 that suggests that the newer boxes use the circlip:

Photo found here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/964093-some-r151-r150-hybrid-info.html

Next pull the bearing off the output shaft. There are proper bearing pullers that won't just grab the outer race but this is what I had at hand and was going to replace the bearing anyway:

Once the bearing is off there is a spacer collar that will slide off but the 5th gear behind that won;t slide off until the shift fork is removed.
To remove the shift fork a roll ping needs to be punched out:

With the roll pin out of the shift fork the 5th counter gear assembly can be pulled off:

When it gets to this point take care to keep track of the shift keys and springs that are behind this gear:

The shift key retainer springs:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is how the shift keys sit:

There seem to be two different types of shift key used in the R series gearboxes. I found this pic that suggests they are interchangeable (probably an upgrade at some point by Toyota)

The whole counter gear assembly and shift fork can now be slipped off the shaft and the 5th gear removed from the output shaft.
There is a thrust washer behind the counter gear that has a small key so be carful not to lose this:

Dis-assembly of the 5th gear parts is now complete:

Putting the new gears back together is really not that difficult. The old Haynes manual 'assembly is the reverse of disassembly' monto applies here.
The only fiddly part is getting the shift keys back in and the springs on them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the bench ready to re-assemble

Get the thrust washer and key back on the shaft:

As mentioned above the only challenge when re-assembling is getting the shift keys seated and the retaining springs in.
I found the easiest way was to space the shift sleeve so that it sits up slightly on the counter gear. I don't have any good pic of that as it was quite fiddly and by the time I could grab the camera it was together.

The main thing is to get the two springs under the lip on the shift keys overlapping as like so:

Once the shift keys are in there is a needle bearing made up of two pieces that sits inside the counter gear assembly that needs to be put in before it can be placed back on the counter shaft:

Put the 5th gear on to the output shaft before replacing the counter gear as the shift fork will block it going on afterwards.

Get the shift fork and counter gear slid onto the counter shaft and shift shaft together as they can't be done separately.
'Press' the counter gear back on. I used a socket and hammer to tap it on. Take care that the synchro doesn't get caught between the spline gear and the shift sleeve while reinstalling:

Reinstall the roll pin in the shift fork and test the operation of the gears to make sure the shift keys and syncro function properly.

5th disengaged:

5th engaged:
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/bill_clarke1/Hilux/R150 Gearbox/assemble/engaged.jpg

Put the spacer collar onto the output shaft and 'press' the output bearing back on before refitting the circlip.
I used the old bearing and a socket to get the new bearing on:

All that remains now is to seal up the cases and swap it into my Hilux.

Here's a pic of my Hilux / Truck.
I believe the dual cabs or Diesel's weren't sold in the US.
This was when I was testing tyre clearances after putting the 33"s on and pushing the axle forward.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Nice write up! :smokin: I know some guys with bigger motors and low gears that would love this, thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Great info, but aren't the dyna/R452 also known as hens teeth here in the states?

I'd import the whole trans for the 1st and 5th.
Even if they are getting the 2 gears shipped from aus wouldn't kill the project if you want it.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
So who know just which pieces need to be swapped to get the lower first gear that came in these. Could then use the blow up for the part numbers?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe this is the 1st gear part number - 3303235040 although it is the superseeded number as when I called Toyota with the 5th gear number in the same year bracket I was told it had been superseded.

Changing first gear will require a replacement counter shaft (no idea how much that would be but assume quite a lot) and that will effect all the other gears that share it and are different to the R150 series box. The 5th is an easy change as the counter gear can be removed.

TOYOTA TOYOACE/DYNA LY61-MDPLT, 33335 GEAR, 1ST

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I sent in the inquiry to buy the gears. $132.29 plus ship. emails says 1-3 business days for a quote. I'm all about it.

Stock effective overdrive with 4.1 x .836 = 3.427

My new overdrive with 5.29 x .69 = 3.65

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
Wow, great write up!! 130$ for a better fifth?!?! Hell yeah! Pay for itself with highway driving. Shit, it isn't like Toyota ever made anything that could take a hill in 5th anyways :goofball:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yea, great write up. Im filing this one away for the future! Great swap for a DD/non trailer queen.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Well... shit.

>> Parts out of stock with an unknown delivery date:
Would this part number cross over to a local Hino (or toyota) store?

Edit: answer is no. Toyota had no damn clue, and according to the next link, they wont. Hino was very helpful. The aisin was never available in the states, only allison. So the part number doesnt exist for them either.

Strait from marlin himself:

Forum linky

There are only 3 gears in the R452 trans that are the same as the R151F, reverse idler, reverse 1/2 slider, and 1th speed gear.

Yes in theory, the R452 is weaker, however, the input teeth are .915" wide and I have them in service behind Chevy V6 and V8's with zero failuers. Not counting the diesel work trucks over there that must work harder than over here.

It has proved to be a very depenable trans and you still have the 4th and 5th gear that are the same as the R150 and 151's.

I have never needed any parts, so I have not looked into the non USA Hino/Dyna part numbers.
Remember that the trans is made by Aisin Seiko, not Toyota.
Since Toyota never offered the R452, they would not have the part numbers in their system. Only Hino and Dyna.

Marlin
So Toyota wouldnt have the part number?

Which led me to:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1527274-hino-dyna-r452-1st-5th-gear-tech.html

Which leads to a slightly different part number, but appears to be the same part:

5th gear

and

5th gear

The 5th counter gear 33046-25030 is $141.25 shipped USD from Amayama

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Thanks for the good tech.

I guess this is just another reason why I haven't been able to REALLY want to sell my R151 dual, 4:7, twin sticked tranny and cases.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 68 Posts