Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this stuff really so good? It's a PITA to go to the dealer and get it.

I have about a 50/50 mix and it keeps freezing up on me. This sucks.

What happens if you mix normal green stuff with it? I have to go get more, but can't drain it if it's frozen.......Don't have a warm garage.

I HATE WINTER :mad:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hey Eli:

IMO, yes it's worth it for any 'yota engine that has aluminum heads (such as the 22R and 3VZ series). My '87 has had it in it since new, and after 170K miles, the coolant passages still shine like new. The guy I bought it from used to be a Toyota tech at a dealership, he did tons of HG's and timing chains on 22RE's, he swore that he could tell the difference inside the engine. The green stuff erodes the HG, causes early failure. I'm still on my factory HG, although it's getting replaced this spring since it's due for a chain too (preventative).

And be sure to mix it with distilled water, not tap water.

No problem mixing the red and green stuff, BTW.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response Ken!

I'll mix in some green for now and get more red as soon as I can.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I ran the red coolant that is available at most parts stores. Says it's designed for new GM engines, but I figured it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have heard to only use the color that the factory uses. I dont know for sure but that is what I heard. such as Toyota is red, Pontiac orange, honda blue, and GM yellow or something like that. I know different ones do have different corrosion qualitys for aluminum and the such. I just stick with what is in there. If I didnt I wouldnt mix them, completly flush and then refill. my .02

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
my buddy that works for GM said that if you dont put the yellow (smell like cat piss) stuff in that it will erode the shit out of the motor...something to do with the alum heads on the vortech:confused:

·
Registered
342 Posts
the red stuff is aparently not a good performer in cold weather, the yota stealership in fairbanks, ak, dosnt even carry toyota red, so i had convert my taco over to green, but it dosnt matter what we use, we have block heather and shit

·
Registered
197 Posts
KLF said:

The green stuff erodes the HG, causes early failure.
Not if you flush it every couple years, but yes the red you can pretty much go without changing with no ill effects. Theres a spreadsheet somewhere on the web comparing Toy red to Havoline orange and one other...fairly similar. Most of the silicate free stuff seems to have a similar makeup. But its probably worth spending more money now on the red just to save the trouble of flushing the system later. More useless information from a guy stuck at home.....

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
I run Toyota red mixed 50/50 with distilled water in my 89 22RE with 238K on the clock. I switched at 230K (bought the truck at 208K) when I replaced my radiator, water pump, thermostat, and hoses. The original radiator broke in a couple spots from repeated hard impacts while wheeling.

When I drained and removed the old radiator, it had a copper, metallic sludge in the bottom and was noticeably lighter than the brand new replacement radiator. The thing looked like shit. The previous owner was running some Autozone green crap for God know's how long. He also filled the PS system with PS fluid, not ATF. The gearbox leaks now.:(

There's 2 types of coolants, ethylene glycol and propylene glycol. Cooling systems are designed specifically to use one or the other, based on the type of metal(s) in the coolant passages. They are not interchangeable or compatible. Use Toyota red......unless you like making unnecessary repairs.

Hef

·
Registered
91 Posts
you'd almost think there was a reason the factory uses one kind of coolant on all their rides, but why??:rolleyes: Good God people, the factory expensive ass red coolant has lubricating qualities, and the simple fact of the pink stain it leaves when it leaks through a broken top tank or water pump or what ever. The toyota red crap is the ONLY coolant to use if there is any love for your truck.:D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Jeremy K said:
you'd almost think there was a reason the factory uses one kind of coolant on all their rides, but why??:rolleyes: Good God people, the factory expensive ass red coolant has lubricating qualities, and the simple fact of the pink stain it leaves when it leaks through a broken top tank or water pump or what ever. The toyota red crap is the ONLY coolant to use if there is any love for your truck.:D

good god u live in a hot fawking state, where the red acutually works, and toyota dealership uses green here,so fawk off:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts