Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn it. If its not one thing, its another. :mad: I need a starter. What years can i find a starter that fits a 91 22re? Its a simple question. Whats the simple answer?

·
Registered
24,996 Posts
85 to 95 22RE. Simple answer.

Go to store. Ask for starter for 1991 Toy pu 4wd 4 cylinder manual transmission. Pay man. Insert starter. Hard answer.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
rebuild it for about $40. two new contacts and a plunger at the dealer.

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
surlynkid said:
rebuild it for about $40. two new contacts and a plunger at the dealer.

What he said. Absolutely worth it. The contacts wear out faster than anything. They're cheap and easy to replace. You can swap them in 5 minutes once the starter's out.

Hef

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright. The reason i'm kinda pissed is cause i'm doing my SAS. I havent driven my Toy in about a month. I am forced to drive a 91 ford f150 everyday. Its nasty. I just finiahed my SAS (to the point where i can drive it cause i now have brakes) Meaning i can actually drive it places so i can make Shock mounts and such.

My brakelines come in. My bushings dont. My brakelines get installed. My starter craps out. I just cant win. All the parts stores in my town close at 5:00 so i get screwed like that. I got my truck riding smooth as glass, so i'm not as pissed about the starter anymore.

Anyway, My starter wont start the truck anymore. It used to whine for a bit, then catch the flywheel and start the truck. But now it just whines and wont engage the flywheel. What is wrong? I submerge it alot and start it underwater sometimes. There isnt a toyota dealer for about 90 miles. Should i just get a new starter? How much am i lookin' at?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well, you said that it DOES spin...So perhaps it's not bolted up all the way. Mine actualy came loose once and would spin and sometimes catch the flywheel but not much would happen.... then I figured that it wasn't bolted up properly.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Order the contacts from somewhere online, yank the starter and swap em' out, look at it this way you got the SAS done

·
Registered
254 Posts
Doesn't sound like contacts to me. The times I've replaced my contacts were no spin or it didn't stop spinning. Soundls like it's goobered up inside from being dunked and sitting. You can take it apart and clean all the rust and mung out of the engagement mechanism, or just go buy another starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts