Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about Toyota parts and need your help....
I need a steering box, and am thinking Toyota. I am saying this because the way it mounts up. I just built a new 2x4 box frame, on Chevy 1 ton running gear for my Willy's cj. So I will be doing a cross over. Are all the boxes the same or should I be looking for a certain one...? but it does need to be HD,:mr-t:.. any info would be nice... thanks, john

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
junk yards around here have plenty of ifs boxes 25 a pop plenty beefy.
whats the difference between the push pull and ifs boxes....? Im a Chevy guy and don't know sh*t about Toyota stuff.............:confused: or is this Toyota lingo for the same box.....? :confused:
also what year and model should I be looking for....?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
push pull boxes are pre 86, IFS boxes are 86-95... some slight differences in the later model IFS boxes, but for all intensive purposes they mount identically and function the same. You CAN NOT do cross over steering with a push pull box. The only thing they are good for is paper weight

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
push pull boxes are pre 86, IFS boxes are 86-95... some slight differences in the later model IFS boxes, but for all intensive purposes they mount identically and function the same. You CAN NOT do cross over steering with a push pull box. The only thing they are good for is paper weight
ok, sounds good, now are the 2wd and 4wd 86-95 ifs boxes the same..?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
yeah, I'm unaware on that as well...

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
believe 2wd and 4wd are different, maybe someone else can answer that one
At least I know more than I did 5 min. ago.....:grinpimp: I just need to get the right box for my rig....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Everything I have read points to the 2wd box being more spindly... Smaller diameter shafts and whatnot....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes, 4wd ifs box is the one I think you need.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
will this box run on a Chevy power steering pump....? or does this pump also need to be Toyota....? I will be running all Chevy running gear and a Chevy 383........Sorry to be a pain in the ASS, but I just need to know....:D

·
Premium Member
17,819 Posts
will this box run on a Chevy power steering pump....? or does this pump also need to be Toyota....? I will be running all Chevy running gear and a Chevy 383........Sorry to be a pain in the ASS, but I just need to know....:D
as long as you're making lines it can run on any pump really

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys have been a great help, thanks....................:grinpimp:
If you guys have any other info I need please post, thanks again......:smokin:

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
push pull boxes are pre 86, IFS boxes are 86-95... some slight differences in the later model IFS boxes, but for all intents and purposes they mount identically and function the same. You CAN NOT do cross over steering with a push pull box. The only thing they are good for is paper weight
Fixed. A failing of mine...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Also, an easy way to differentiate between a 4WD and a 2WD box is the number of mounting bolts (If buying one that is already pulled). 2WD has only 2 bolts, 4WD has 3.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts