Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading somewhere that the bed used on the early FJ45 SWB pick-ups was the same as the bed on the Toyota Stout pick-up. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Or am I getting old and feeble-minded before I hit 50?

I've got a line on a Stout pick-up, but haven't looked closely at the condition of the bed.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
They're pretty damn similar to the LWB 45 bed, but not the same, the lines are different, especially from the side. I've seen STOUT beds used on FJ45 LWB's before and it looks better than using a mini-truck box.

My question is, are the tailgates the same dimensions? A buddy of mine has a line on two STOUT pickups with perfect tailgates for cheap, and we were wondering if they could be used in a pinch?

·
Registered
195 Posts
a little off topic but here goes,

anyone interested in a Stout pick up??
One of my customers has a 1967? for sale
he told me it was an excellent condition FJ45 with low miles
So I raced out to look at it
but it was a Stout not a FJ45

what a let down!
I should have known $2000 CDN for a nice FJ45 was just too good to be true

·
Registered
426 Posts
a stout bed is a little different. the distance from front panel to center of axle is greater than 45 lwb, and 45 lwb has a longer center axle to rear.

lights are same.

tailgate attaches with different hinge mechanism but may work. It may be wider than a 45 lwb...

sides are curved vs straight (so it would look real good on a 75 series). There are also two ill fitted gas tank doors, which only one has a fuel filler (on 98% of trucks). Goofy design. Bottom panels of sides bolt on as well.

going rate for stouts is $400-$750, any of them more than $1,000 better be nice- there is little restoration value in them. If you see a "restoration project for rare stout" for $2,500+ just laugh.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I posted some pics of my friends 67 Stout, to compare to a 45.
http://www.picturetrail.com/cruiserdude
Stout album

It's a one owner(his dad bought it new) 58,000 miles and the best part it has an orignal OEM tool kit with the metal box, even better the tools are are still wraped in the plastic and cardboard as they came from Toyota in 1967!! Pretty darn cool.

It was for sale for $1000 but as he know has found parts(thanks Rick D) he is gonna keep it.......he thinks. His dad had redone the interior before he passed away and it's sweet.

The tail light lens are almost the same as a 45, they will work but the Stout has red/red lens, not red/orange as the 45. This little Stout even has the original Kotto headlights.....which I find amazzing!

FWIW the trany is FOUR on the tree.....only seen one other 4 on the tree and it was a Mitsubishi Jeep 2 door wagon, a copy of US Willy's, right hand drive and sitting in somones shed in WA

There are two other Stouts in town, one is on the road quite often. We also have a 67 Crown that is running around town in MINT shape......pretty big car for a 60's vintage Import.

John H

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
D'OH, sorry if i got anyones hopes up!!

ALTHOUGH

there is aftermarket gearsets available in both 6.1 and 6.8:1 suit landcruiser, new, non genuine with fine spline pinions

these are an Italian made gear, i got quoted around $450 AUS a set landed, they had to bring them in from Italy, but i was too tight :flipoff2:

they would have to have them over there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.