Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done it? I am looking to convert my 2004 Toyota Tacoma crewcab into a tow rig. I am thinking about going with a lightweight gooseneck trailer, convert rear to a dual wheel set up. I will be towing a lightweight Suzuki Samurai rock buggy and RZR.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might search the net, over seas (Japan and Korea) your see set-ups just like that all the time.
I'm on my work computer and can't view most of the taco forums. I did search the PBB and figured if it has been done it would be here.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the Tacos of that era have frame problems? I would find a different base than a 1/4 ton truck.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the Tacos of that era have frame problems? I would find a different base than a 1/4 ton truck.
only if you live in the north. Corrosion was the issue, not weakness.

There were older dually Toyota trucks that were the base of Campers and even Uhaul box trucks. Might want to start looking at those.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
why? why not just throw a good set of E rated tires on there and put your sammi on a regular bumper pull. i bet you will be under the tow rating for the tacoma, which should be 5-6k. sound slike alot of work for no real gain. i would be more worried about brakes than the weight capacity of the rear tires.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
There were older dually Toyota trucks that were the base of Campers and even Uhaul box trucks. Might want to start looking at those.
Ahh yes, the 'TM' model Uhaul - Tiny Mover. 10' Box (if you counted the over hang and Uhaul did) - they were so small and you couldn't fit a queen size bed in one. Gutless, slow, small, worthless..... :laughing:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
why? why not just throw a good set of E rated tires on there and put your sammi on a regular bumper pull. i bet you will be under the tow rating for the tacoma, which should be 5-6k. sound slike alot of work for no real gain. i would be more worried about brakes than the weight capacity of the rear tires.
Yes brakes would be the biggest concern towing with it unless your on flat roads all the time without any other cars around.

But if that dosnt bother you, I agree with the rest get some higher rated tires and put air bags under it and it should be able to tow a sammy fine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Like everyone said...this sounds like a lot of work, for little benefit. I would just get a bumperpull trailer and be done with it. A lot of custom work would be involved, special spacers front and rear with special rims. Kind of a dumb idea IMHO.

·
Registered
220 Posts
when equiped with tow package that tacoma was rated at 5k
tow package was bigger alt oil cooler and tranny cooler, plus hitch.

i say ur short bed would hurt u the most for a goose neck.
frame issues, if it had them he would get a new frame and real leafs.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some good points here. I kinda wanted the look too. It already has a receiver mounted and brake controller to ne installed next week. I don't want another tow vehicle which is why I sold my F tree fiddy dually. Ehh was just kicking around the idea, I guess.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have some pictures someplace of a couple of the 84 to 88 body style that were made into duallys. If you want i can post them, might take a few days to find.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I think a key factor will be the size and weight of your trailer. You could spend some $$ and get a featherlite alumnim trailer. This would help with braking and handling as it would reduce the total weight.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
somehow this thread ended up with me on youtube watching people jack up uhaul trucks.

this was a personal favorite.

I can only imagine the things the weinerbox has endured.
I worked at Uhaul in college for 3 years -- those trucks were all so beat by the customers - and you can't imagine what the employees did! :smokin:

We'd have races in the storage unit back lot roads, tug-of-wars, burnout contests, troture tests, etc.

We'd try and break, explode, wreck trucks on purporse just so we wouldn't have to rent them - if you had X number of break downs in a month the whole store lost their monthly bonus. Some trucks were just so bad you knew they would breakdown, they had broken down the month before, only to be patched back up to be rented again. But, the corporate office wouldn't let you not rent them - until they actually left some customer stranded... :shaking: It paid to let the smoke out of a few of them, save the customer a headache and save our bonus, OK mostly just to save our bonus!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have repeatedly considered dually-ing every one of my 4 S-10s, and actually did some of the mock-up work. But the most I ever towed was an 18-foot utility trailer carrying a friend's '92 Mustang GT, and the stock 4.3 with the stock 7.5" axle did just fine for that, once I re-loaded the car backwards to re-gain some steering control of my S-10 above 60 MPH. That was a RCSB with a custom class 4 hitch.
Your Taco is about as narrow as , and certainly a far weaker frame even when new, than, any S-10, but here are my conclusions:
Axle: should not be from a full-size dually, but should be the 10.5" 14b FF from a SRW 3/4 ton or 1-ton Chev. Millions of these in the salvage yards for under $200. This, with stock steel 16x6" GM dually wheels on 215/65R16 tires would be easier than trying to use the old 'yota baby-dually stuff, especially since those wheels all have egged-out lug holes by now.
Also, the 'yota brakes are no match for my proposal, either.
As for dually fenders, the S-10 had options, as phantom dually fenders were then a popular way of covering Pro-Trac SC 515/45-15 tires on the rear. I was leaning toward the Choo Choo Customs Wildside stepside bed, as much more aerodynamic. I would have had to cut the CCC fenders off their 'glass bed, then 'glass them onto my full-width bed, but their stepside was inspired by, or inspiration for, the sleekness of the '88-up GM full-size Sportside stepside.
I normally build for function, and seldom give the remotest hang about looks, but I sure don't want any rookie cop deciding my rig looks too cobbled-together to be safe. Something like this needs to look factory, and for me it needs to do so without costly custom bodywork that'd be even more costly to re-create if a fender-bender should happen.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts