Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2006 Toyota sequoia v8. 100k miles now. I guess I should do the timing belt. how many miles have you gone with out changing one?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
200k miles
Toyota belts are tough as nails... That van is non interference so if it breaks no big deal
The 4.7 is an interference engine according to my sources. However, we have seen 3-4 of them break belts with no valve damage.

I would replace it by 120k, it seems they are on borrowed time after that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Interference motor, due at 90K seen them go up words of 200K and not break, then seen another break at 120K. Also seen them break the belt and bend exh valves on one engine, and then break a belt on another and not bend valves. It's hit or miss. Change it now. It's cheap somewhat easy if you know how to turn a wrench...
Toyota tech for 14 years here FYI.
Oh yeah while in there change the water pump.

·
Premium Member
13,758 Posts
Unless something has changed the rule of toyota thumb was that if it has a belt it's non interference. If it has a chain it's high interference.

Edit: Guess I should have refreshed before replying. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Unless something has changed the rule of toyota thumb was that if it has a belt it's non interference. If it has a chain it's high interference.

Things have changed. Variable valve timing negates that rule. And the 1UZ engine is a fickle bitch. Even the fixed cam timing ones can bend valves if the belt lets go.

·
Registered
806 Posts
When I bought mine it had 140k on it and I don't think it had ever been replaced. :homer:

Just a side note, for under $500 I had the dealer do the belt, waterpump and program/cut me a new key for it.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Starter under the intake and belt driven timing?

:lmao:

Sent from the app that still makes me look at ads even though I paid for a star :homer:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I did my timing belt (2000 Tundra 4.7) at 109K miles. The belt looked like new, but the water pump was just starting to leak. Plan on doing the belt, idler and tensioner pulleys and waterpymp. You can find parts kits on ebay that have everything you need, even a new series belt.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My wife had a 00 mazda that jumped time because the tensioner wasn't changed with the belt. I don't know when the belt was changed, but it jumped time at 130k.

Change everything mentioned. Belt, waterpump, tensioner, idler ('s?)... I bought a kit, but it didn't come with the fucking tensioner spring.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,320 Posts
Let the one on my 4runner go to 170k before replacing everything. Water pump was pretty bad by then as well. Was a fairly easy job to do in the driveway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts