Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are trans out of a 2 wheel drive truck of any use for a 4 wd , are the guts the same ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
2 WD trans generally use a higher less desireable gear ratio. 3.83 instead of 3.95 ect. However, 5th and reverse gears are always the same.
What transmissions are you looking at?
For instance, one ton 2 wd 22R EFI trucks uses a W56 that has a 3.95:1 1th gear that is the same as a 4WD gear set. Only the output shaft, tail housing and shift linkage needs to be chainged!
Marlin

·
Registered
653 Posts
Or you can use a divorced t-case :)

Marlin, wouldn't that be a W55 in the one-tons? Or is it truly a modified W56?

·
Registered
247 Posts
toy283 said:
Marlin, wouldn't that be a W55 in the one-tons? Or is it truly a modified W56? [/B]
I have seen both styles. I still do not have a good handle on the W55 2wd trans. Since 99.9% of my rebuilding is on 4wd trans, I recall working on 2wd W55 and W56's. Both trans were the same inside with a 3.83:1 first gear. It appears that 2wd carb trucks got the std G52 or the h/duty W55?.
Only 2wd turbo diesel's and one ton pick-ups got a 3.95 first gear W56. All other EFI 2wd trucks have a W55 or W56 trans with a 3.83 first!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked because I have 2 trans out of 2wd carb trucks, They were fine , I am not into building toyotas , I just have this problem of saving things that are good. I figured that they may be of use to someone out there but didnt know . I am in cleaning out the garage mode and hate to throw something out that could be used by someone

·
Registered
247 Posts
Matt before you scrap those trans, check to see if they are worth keeping.
If your transmissions have an aluminum bellhousing, cast iron front housing, cast iron center section, and a aluminum rear housing, then you have a W40,42 4 sp, or a W50,52 5 sp (71-'85' 2 wd trucks), these light duty transmissions were never found in a 4x4 truck!
What does your trans look like? Do they have an aluminum bellhousing, or cast iron bellhousing-front body with an aluminum rear housing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a w56 out of a 2 wheel drive one ton. Can I use the output shaft, tailhousing and shift linkage from any of the G series or L series 4 wheel drive transmissions to convert it to 4wd.

·
Registered
247 Posts
fishtruck66 said:
I have a w56 out of a 2 wheel drive one ton. Can I use the output shaft, tailhousing and shift linkage from any of the G series or L series 4 wheel drive transmissions to convert it to 4wd.
Your one ton trans is a keeper. Only 2wd turbo diesel, and one ton 2wd trucks use the same 3.95 first gear trans as a 4x4 EFI truck!
It is impossible to install L or G shafts, tailhousing or shift linkage into a W56 series trans. You can only use 85-91' W parts to covert the one ton to a 4x4 style.
I have done this many times :idea:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts