Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear that toyotas in australia come factory with straight axel like 98 tacomas and ect. is this true.?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
yota_kid286 said:
i hear that toyotas in australia come factory with straight axel like 98 tacomas and ect. is this true.?
Not Exactly. We had Pick Ups(Hilux) with Solid axles till 97. After that it was only IFS available.

We never got the Tacoma. We also never got the 22RE or V6s in Pickups. But we did get diesels all the way through the models. 4 Runners were only available with a Solid axle from 84-87. After this they were all IFS. We got the V6 in some Second Gen 4Runners.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Your current Hilux is the same as the old/new Tacoma, right? I coulda swore I saw Hiluxes that looked like Tacomas all over on the other side of the Tasman Sea.

We'll send over a container of 22re's and V6's, you send the container back full of turbo diesels!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ruff can you get the VW emblem???? or a hilux surf emblem off of anything I have given up getting a 4 door and now I need to screw with the local hillbillys...
LATE FLOP

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
MT4Runner, PM me and I'll post the jpg.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Ya, I was watching some war time footage from over in Iraq and noticed some of the American Soldiers riding around in 4 door newer Toyota trucks with straight axles under them. My buddy says that they also run FF rear axles too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's probably the III gen Hilux double cab without SR5 package. And those were sold up to '97 with solid axle I think. If they have some goodies on they look quit similar to the newer gen. As far as I know they never had FF rear.

·
Registered
272 Posts
yota_kid286 said:
is it possible to get them in the U.S. ???
Just drive down south of the border, and pick one up. They, and nissan patrols were ALL OVER Costa Rica when I was down there. Importing it though, you would probably be better off getting the title of a totaled tacoma or truck, cause importin leagally is $$$

·
Registered
29 Posts
RockStomper-Toy said:
Ya, I was watching some war time footage from over in Iraq and noticed some of the American Soldiers riding around in 4 door newer Toyota trucks with straight axles under them. My buddy says that they also run FF rear axles too.
This is the mid east version of the Hilux till 1997, this one by vin went of the assembly line somewhere in late 1997.
2.4D I think it’s the same as the Australian version for this production year.
Common thing here is to install a 2.4TD engine into the solid axle models.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Doron_B said:
This is the mid east version of the Hilux till 1997, this one by vin went of the assembly line somewhere in late 1997.
2.4D I think it’s the same as the Australian version for this production year.
Common thing here is to install a 2.4TD engine into the solid axle models.

That's what I saw. but I could never see the rear end from a side view from the news footage to tell weither or not they used FF rears. From your photo, I'd say nope...

·
Registered
182 Posts
MT4Runner said:
Your current Hilux is the same as the old/new Tacoma, right? I coulda swore I saw Hiluxes that looked like Tacomas all over on the other side of the Tasman
The body style of the 1998 and newer Hilux was very simliar to the 2004 and older Tacoma, so they could mistaken for the same vehicle, but not a single part underneith is the same. Even the body uses different panels. The 1998-2004 Hilux uses the same torsion bar IFS and frame and suspension that American sold Toyotas used from '86-'95. The brand new 2005 Hilux is also entirely different from our 2005 Tacoma, except this time, the body styles aren't even close. They do share the same front suspension, but the frames, rear suspension and everything else is entirely different. It all has to do with the Hilux needing to be 1 ton capable, while our American Toyota from 1995 onward, never expected to be rated more than 1/2 ton, so they were able to skimp on the design. Also, Toyota strives for extremely high safety ratings on its American sold vehicles, so we get things like weak crumple safety frames.

RockStomper-Toy said:
You might have seen one of the several dozen Tacomas that were used by the special forces in Afghanistan. That's Tacoma, not Hilux. They purchased a number of them from dealerships here in the U.S. shipped them overseas and drove the crap out of them. First thing to wear out was the weak front suspension, as expected, but they were good rigs while they lasted. Fast and quiet, unlike the Humvee. That's the main reason they used them. I don't know if any are still in use. I think most have been scrapped by now.

http://www.brian894x4.com/MilitaryTacoma.html

1 - 20 of 36 Posts