Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
as far as i know,hilux's never came out with a floating rear end.im just in the process of modifying a f/f land cruiser back end to fit my 85'

·
Registered
182 Posts
customhilux said:
do u have the new AUV hilux in the states.
Not even close. Our 2005 Tacoma was totally redesigned, but includes an entirely new frame that is essentially a carbon copy of our Tundra frame, which is C-channel from the mid section all the way to the rear and includes a funky rear suspension shackle system similar to some of our domestic makes. The only thing that it remotely shares with the new Hilux is the front suspension, which came from the 2003 and later 4Runner. I think the interiors might be similar too, but that doesn't mean jack when your on the trail.

If it wasn't clear when the first Tacoma came out in 1995 that there was a major difference between the direction of Toyota Japan and Toyota USA, its sure clear now with new the Tacoma and Hilux. Toyota never broke into the "commercial" truck market here and they don't take recreational 4 wheeling as seriously as Jeep and others so consequently, the only "heavy duty" Toyota that we see are the Japanese designed and built 4Runner. But there aren't too many people wheeling those right now, as expensive as they are. At least Toyota still offers the electric locker on the Tacoma, but it's small consolation for the crap they designed for our market compared to over there.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
tassie devil said:
as far as i know,hilux's never came out with a floating rear end.im just in the process of modifying a f/f land cruiser back end to fit my 85'

Two wheel drive cab chassis units did, u-haul trucks and motor home rigs.

Any word on Toyota coming out with a 3/4 - 1 ton full size in the states? Someone told me a while back they were working on this.

·
Registered
182 Posts
HMI1 said:
One of the solid axle trucks on the Japan market section of this web site appears to be using Toyota OEM aluminum rims like the US had from 86-95.

Did Japan change the front axle or hubs etc to fit these?
My understanding was that IFS and SA wheels fit on both trucks just fine. I know I used my same wheels on my IFS and SAS set up.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Brian894X4 said:
My understanding was that IFS and SA wheels fit on both trucks just fine. I know I used my same wheels on my IFS and SAS set up.
Toy factory aluminum wheels for 86+ IFS trucks have too small a center hole to fit over a soild toy axle, & the BS is such( 4.5"? vs 4" or 3.75") that the tierod will hit the wheel.
I have no idea what wheels you had/have, but a good guess is they were aftermarket wheels with more BS so they swapped right onto your solid axle after the swap. Most chevy wheels have the center hole too small to fit a toy too, both steel & aluminum. Ask me how I know :evil:

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
Toy factory aluminum wheels for 86+ IFS trucks have too small a center hole to fit over a soild toy axle, & the BS is such( 4.5"? vs 4" or 3.75") that the tierod will hit the wheel.
I have no idea what wheels you had/have, but a good guess is they were aftermarket wheels with more BS so they swapped right onto your solid axle after the swap. Most chevy wheels have the center hole too small to fit a toy too, both steel & aluminum. Ask me how I know :evil:
I've seen the aluminum SR5 wheels on a few SA trucks... :p You do need a wheel spacer, but the hub center shouldn't be a factor.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
MT4Runner said:
RockStomper-Toy, were the 2wd units the small 5 on 4.5" lug pattern (can't see how they would be with room for a FF hub), 6 on 5.5" like our 4wd's or the big 6 on 6.5?" like the DRW motorhomes? Still 8" diff in the middle?
It's a DRW setup and I beleive it has 6 lugs but I know there spread out in a much larger bolt patern. I did an engine overhaul one one over the winter and never looked at the third member to see what it was.

·
Registered
197 Posts
rockota said:
I've seen the aluminum SR5 wheels on a few SA trucks... :p You do need a wheel spacer, but the hub center shouldn't be a factor.
This truck is under the Japan market section, sure looks like the stock 86-95 US aluminum rims: http://www.brian894x4.com/teruzou01.jpg

Of course they could be using spacers in Japan, but I heard rumors several years ago about the newer, foreign front axles being wider. Never did hear if it was true. Anyone know about that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
the ifs model rear axle is wider then the solid axle.

those wheels i think are just an aftermarket wheel.

i've got landcruiser wheels on mine, cause they have the smallest BS from factory, i think it's 3.75". mine are also 6 on 5.5".

most of ours came with split rims,
but the sr5's and runners came with 15x6.5" ghey chrome wheels.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Do those later model solid axle trucks have a wider rear axle like our IFS trucks and a correspondingly wider FRONT axle? :idea: ........Hans

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nope, all solid axle trucks have +/- 1430 mm trackwidth (like the US '85 pickup models) front and rear. The IFS types have +/- 1490 mm trackwith.

I searched several scrapyards in Europe in different countries and the only solid axle with wider track I found so far is the LC80 axle: +/-1610mm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oatmeal said:
Do those later model solid axle trucks have a wider rear axle like our IFS trucks and a correspondingly wider FRONT axle? :idea: ........Hans
At least around here the SA until 98 and the IFS after 97 have the same rear axle, width and housing. The difference us with the r&p ratio. The SA has 4.56 and the IFS has 4.10

21 - 36 of 36 Posts