Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched much and haven't found this identical problem with any other TPI people.

I have a '92 TPI off a Z28 in my '99 TJ crawler. About 2 months ago, I put a brand new GM 350ci/250hp crate engine in the beast and used all the existing intake/distributor/Painless harness etc. The last engine was totally hydrolocked when I purchased the rig.

The thing has run great every day since the engine install, starting it up here down in warm Sacramento. Usually the temp outside is 70-95f. We took it up to the Rubicon a few weekends ago and went to start it up at about 0800 in the a.m. after camping out, it was about 40-45 deg f out. The thing just flooded the engine like crazy. Pulled the plugs and most all were saturated with gas. Burned out each cylinder with a propane torch mult. times. After messing with it for about 4 hrs, finally got it running on about 6 cylinders and hit the trail. In about 30 minuites, it was back running on 8 and purring like a kitten.

Got it back home in Sac. Next day, started it up at about 80 deg out, runs like a champ.

Any idea what sensor/ what malfunction is going on here? Tried using a OBD1 reader on it to see if there was any codes thrown, but there is no longer a "check engine light" to use in reading the code pulse. Thanks for the help.

Adam

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My guess would be MAP sensor; it gives the ECM altitude data.
I'd think a bad temp sensor would be a bigger problem in the warmer weather.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
I had the same problem when I put the TPI from a '91 Z-28 on my old 283 (outof an old '63 Vette). I finally tracked the problem down to a vacuum leak in the runners going from the plenum to the intake manifold. When the engine was cold, there was a ton of un-measured air coming in, and the system was dumping loads of extra fuel. When the engine warmed-up, the metal runners would expand; sealing the air leaks, and it would run great...

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Nope, the whole dash is custom built with Autometer gauges. The CEL was never wired in.
There was a check engine light and aldl connector on the passenger side under the dash. If it was cut out you should be able to find the leads in the harness...

I had the same exact problem with the engine running really, really rich and flooding like crazy. It took a while to figure out but was the ignition module under the distributor cap - I bet that's it.

Good luck!

CJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts