Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SB350 in my 86 CJ7 and I started to collect the parts to convert it to TPI.

I'm struggling with the fuel delivery. I know there is a write up out there using an 87 sending unit from a 2.5 and a 4.9 Fuel Pump. What other things are you guys using? Anyone using an external pump, experience? Any other places that make a custom TPI tank with pump & sender at a reasonable price?

Thanks
Mark F

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
I am running an external pump for my TPI in my CJ-7...

Big Problem, exhaust is heating up the fuel and vapor locking the pump. And the pump is mounted right behing the driver's side tail light in that little compartment..

If you find a intank pump for the CJ PLEASE let us know, I need to make the conversion.

Thanks...

·
Registered
200 Posts
i did this swap on a chevy tbi and replaced the pumps only i have collected parts to do a 302 efi swap on my yj and plan on using a mustang pump or other in the stock tank. you need a tank that is baffled set up for a fuel inj. engine then grap a suitable pump it will work so either try and use a yj fuel inj tank or get a custom tank set up for injection.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are using a 302 pump what are you using as a sender?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I know this cost more but why not do a custom tank with an intank fuel pump. I think trailquest can make one. I made mine myself used the sending unit and pump off the donor car. Added a few baffles and had it coated.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I have done a couple of these conversions and used a different pump for each conversion. The first conversion I used a MPI 425 caddy engine in a short bed chevy. I used the stock type caddy pump which I got at local parts store. The second conversion I used the fuel pump for an 86 broncoII. both of these pumps are external. If you run a return line you should not have any problems with vaporlock. also I ran a high volume low pressure pump to feed the high pressure pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts