Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now fabricating the motor mounts for the TPI 350. Should I have the motor level wit the frame or a few degrees tilted one way or another? Experience please!!! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">

Thanks for the input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
I run 3* back tilt. If your rear d-line is happy with it level go with it. I feel it is a compromise between center of gravity, oil pan clearance, Break-over angle, driveline angularity and length that dictates when my drivetrain goes. <IMG SRC="smilies/beer.gif" border="0">
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, there in lies the problem. I don't have the driveline or anything else in yet. This is a new project. I won't have an issue with oilpan or any other clearances.

I spoke with Fullsize last night and he said the same thing. Maybe I should put the trans and t/c on before I set it in there.

Thanks for the response.

Allen
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
30,419 Posts
i am doing the same thing right now.

i bolted up my trans and t case so i can movw the whole thing around. things i am taking into considerasion:

1. t case flat with the frame
2. engine fore/ aft weight distribution
3. engine height
4. drive line angle
5. side to side placement
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Originally posted by camo:
<STRONG>i am doing the same thing right now.

i bolted up my trans and t case so i can movw the whole thing around. things i am taking into considerasion:

1. t case flat with the frame
2. engine fore/ aft weight distribution
3. engine height
4. drive line angle
5. side to side placement</STRONG>
What Camo said.... my #1 concern was belly clearance so of course I had the t-case bolted on. Secondly was engine height, I wanted mine as low as possible to keep the center of gravity down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Originally posted by SweetCJ7:
<STRONG>I am now fabricating the motor mounts for the TPI 350. Should I have the motor level wit the frame or a few degrees tilted one way or another? Experience please!!! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">

Thanks for the input.</STRONG>
On my 79 CJ7 I'm putting the motor mounts flush with the top of the J10 frame rail and motor is level. Got a 120 inch wheelbase so not too worried about the drive shaft angle. At least we don't have to worry about carb floats and that crap. <IMG SRC="smilies/skull.gif" border="0">
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the thing to d o is install the trans and t/c. Then drop it in and set up.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
what is missing is the main reason to tilt it back about three to four degs. is to keep the head from developing steam pockets. i understand that you have to put your drive shaft at a good angle, but i would be more intrested in keeping my motor alive. this is why you will see the intake manifolds on older cars have the carb at a level angle and the intake at another angle. my 2 cents later mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,804 Posts
anybody have feedback on side-to-side engine
placement??? I've heard offsetting the motors
to the driver-side for some applications,
but not sure why they did it.. any ideas??
 

·
Granite Guru
Joined
·
3,288 Posts
Originally posted by SHERPA RIG:
<STRONG>anybody have feedback on side-to-side engine
placement??? I've heard offsetting the motors
to the driver-side for some applications,
but not sure why they did it.. any ideas??</STRONG>
side to side offset is usually for either driveshaft clearance or steering column clearance reasons.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top