Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the bad TPS on my 89 SR5 truck (22RE). I ordered a new unit from NAPA giving all the pertinent info. I get home, pull the throttle body (it needed a good cleaning), remove the old TPS and wouldn't you know......the new sensor is wrong.

:confused:

The fins for the wiper are 90 degrees offset from the original sensor. It won't hook up to the butterfly valce correctly. Dammit! :mad: I, being a dumbass, didn't bother to verify that the Toy part #'s matched before I removed anything.

My truck uses a 89452-28030. The new unit is an 89452-14050. According to the second guy I spoke to at NAPA my original TPS is for a 22RTEC. The part I recieved is definitely for a 22RE Federal.

The purpose for my post here is twofold. First, I want to know if some of you guys could check your part #'s on your trucks and see what you have (SR5 vs. non SR5, turbo's vs, n/a, etc). I'd like to know if I just got an odd bird or what.

Second, I figure this would be a good contribution to future TPS searches.

"CHECK YOUR PART NUMBERS BEFORE YOU ORDER A TPS!!"

Anyhow, that's it. I have to wait until tomorrow for the correct sensor. This sucks.

Hef :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've learned that toyota tps pn's differ from year to year. Although pn's differ from "85 to '95 for the 22re, they do seem to have similar resistance readings throughout their entire range.
The two crucial things to look for are: position of the pawl(either up/down or side/side,), and the other is the style of connector coming off your wire harness(2 styles: wire clip or push button)
My '85 has an up/down pawl & wire clip connector w/ tps pn 89452-28010.

p.s. I think you can swap out the pawl to make any tps work, but I've never tried this myself.

my $0.02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts