Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you have missed me the hast few days, I have been slaving hard getting the yard brought up to speed for spring, as well as helping TR get his 4Runner set up a little better.

Maybe he will chime in, but here's pretty much what we are doing:

-Custom rear springs up front
-Drop front crossmember that moves the front springs 1" forward (axle is a total of 3" forward).
-Rear blocks ( :barf: until he gets off his tail and does his 4 link :p )
-Custom crossover steering setup
-FJ-something steering box that had the pitman facing forward, looks like it will work sweet with the axle this far forward.
-He picked up a used set of 36" TSL's to go in it too - looks MUCH better than the 31's that were on it before we started :p

Rear is done, front hanger is in place, and we have some hoopty shackles on temporarily to see how the springs are gonna settle out, and if he needs to move to a shackle under the frame. Right now, it is looking like with the rear springs up front, and front hanger 1" forward and 3" down, a nice 5" shackle in the stock solid axle location will work SWEET for flex and ride. Only time will tell though.

Tomorrow is time to get the box set in the right place, sleeve the frame, plate it, and call it drivable again :)

He may be working on it on his own tomorrow, but if I make it down to help him I will be sure to snap some pics.

Care to chime in Mikey? :D

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Thanks David, well here are the specs.

The front springs are some rear 4 runner springs with a rancho AAL kit.
The front hanger moves the axle 3.25 down and 1.25 forward to compensate for my bent frame.
The steering box is a FJ-60. It is basicly a IFS box but it uses 4 bolts to hold it to the frame and the pitman arm normally faces forward instead of backwards.
And Im not running a 4 link in the back. Its a copy of Sams SA-link but with a 1/4 ellptical instead of coils.

I should have pics tomarrow if David shows up to help me finish it.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Why not just do the XX style 4-link? You're basically building one anyway... just adding more tubing and deleting two joints. At least that way one link failing wouldn't render the rid inoperable?

Just curious on the choice for the SA link. The pics and vids of it in action don't particularly make me want to run out and copy it... although a large portion of that comes from the hoopty-soft springs. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TNToy said:
Why not just do the XX style 4-link? You're basically building one anyway... just adding more tubing and deleting two joints. At least that way one link failing wouldn't render the rid inoperable?

Just curious on the choice for the SA link. The pics and vids of it in action don't particularly make me want to run out and copy it... although a large portion of that comes from the hoopty-soft springs. :confused:
He likes to be different :p

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
damn right

·
Registered
3,501 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TR said:
damn right
If you are posting, you are NOT WORKING!

Get to work!

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
been welding and had to let every thing cool off. im getting back to work now, it will be able to move under its own power tonite but i will have to finish welding tomarrow nite.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TR said:
been welding and had to let every thing cool off. im getting back to work now, it will be able to move under its own power tonite but i will have to finish welding tomarrow nite.
You get the steering box on there?

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
It moves by itself now, still have some more welding to do and install shock mounts F&R and brace the drop cross member. looks good cept the drivers side sits lower than the pass side :mad: and the damn rag joint rubs on my shock mount :mad: and i just let the shocks hang free and the pass side shock got between my steering stop and the stop crushing the almost new RS9012 :mad: Hope fully i will get it finished tomarrow.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TR said:
It moves by itself now, still have some more welding to do and install shock mounts F&R and brace the drop cross member. looks good cept the drivers side sits lower than the pass side :mad: and the damn rag joint rubs on my shock mount :mad: and i just let the shocks hang free and the pass side shock got between my steering stop and the stop crushing the almost new RS9012 :mad: Hope fully i will get it finished tomarrow.
Why did you disconnect the shocks? :shaking:

I say cut a pie slice out of the Ford towers, lay them towards the rear of the truck about 1", and they should work ok.

I will bring a camera by the shop today :p

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I thought you forgot the camera???

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is pretty much what he started with:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And here it is now:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
TR said:
looks good cept the drivers side sits lower than the pass side :mad:

3/8in plate on top of the driver's side perch will level it... remember toy perches are different height's :flipoff2:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bob Williams said:

This posted by a guy with 21,000+ posts!

Looks like the pot's calling the kettle black:D :D :D
ouch :p

guess I better get to work :D

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
cute hell they are some nice tires for the price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts