Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an '88 wrangler. The front trac-bar is gone because whomever put the pro-crap lift on didn't have the drop bracket so they just tossed it I guess. The rear trac-bar is still there. Do I need either one of them since it is leaf sprung. It seems to me that the springs would locate the axle well enough. Every other leaf sprung vehicle doesn't have one.

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
I just got an '88 wrangler. The front trac-bar is gone because whomever put the pro-crap lift on didn't have the drop bracket so they just tossed it I guess. The rear trac-bar is still there. Do I need either one of them since it is leaf sprung. It seems to me that the springs would locate the axle well enough. Every other leaf sprung vehicle doesn't have one.
Do a search on "track bar" and you will probably find a million threads on this very subject.

As a general rule, coil spring vehicles must have a track bar if they want to steer. However, leaf sprung vehicles don't have the same issues as a coil sprung so most people toss the track bar on leaf sprung vehicles. Remove it and see what you think.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
You won't be needing them, I doubt you'll even notice they're gone. Untill you go wheeling and find it doesn't flex like a board anymore.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:laughing: yeah, they don't call it pro-crap for nothin, every sping is negatively arched and it rides like the axle is welded to the frame. It's gonna make one hell of a boat anchor though

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Have a 95 TJ, ft & rear track bars were the 1st to go.Even the street ride will be better. Some dont run the sway bars either, I run them on the street and disconect on the trail.
How's that TJ handle with no track bar? Steer much?

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
Have a 95 TJ, ft & rear track bars were the 1st to go.Even the street ride will be better. Some dont run the sway bars either, I run them on the street and disconect on the trail.
WOW!!! :eek::eek: You better hold onto that TJ. I have never seen a 1995 TJ... so it is probably a one of a kind :shaking: I think you have a YJ. Leaf spring = YJ. Coil spring = TJ. 1995 = YJ. 1997 thru 2006 = TJ. :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
IMO, get rid of that rear track bar ASAP. I've seen plenty of them rip off of the rear of YJ's. It'll either rip off the frame side or the axle side mount. Either way, it's a pain in the butt to fix.

As for the front, it's personal preference, you'll lose some articulation, but, in my case, it made a big enough difference on the road at speed that I elected to keep it. I still have to drive my Jeep to where ever I want to wheel so having dependable steering at 70+ mph is important to me. I did however go with sway bar disconnects. Having them off makes a big difference both on and off road.

Bottom line, I'd try different combinations in the front and find out what works best for your preferences.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
What a bunch of asshloes, so I typed TJ not YJ , if you are as smart as you think you are you might have figured that out.
Actualy I think the problem was no one was sure whether it was a '95 and therefore a YJ or a TJ that you were unaware of the year model. Makes a HUGE difference in answering the question.

On the other hand WE ARE a bunch of assholes:grinpimp:

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
What a bunch of asshloes, so I typed TJ not YJ , if you are as smart as you think you are you might have figured that out.
Lighten up, we are only mess-n with ya. :D Actually, I wasn't sure if you have a YJ or a TJ as I didn't trust the 1995. YJ or TJ makes a World of difference in what the correct answer is. TJ's don't drive so well without trackbars, I have been there and done that :D:D

·
Registered
513 Posts
to reassure you about dropping the track bars, or otherwise leaving them off, ist gen toyota pickups and 4runners with solid axles are factory spring over and have no track bars. they do just fine, as wil a leaf sprung jeep without them.

enjoy the extra travel :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
IMO, get rid of that rear track bar ASAP. I've seen plenty of them rip off of the rear of YJ's. It'll either rip off the frame side or the axle side mount. Either way, it's a pain in the butt to fix.

As for the front, it's personal preference, you'll lose some articulation, but, in my case, it made a big enough difference on the road at speed that I elected to keep it. I still have to drive my Jeep to where ever I want to wheel so having dependable steering at 70+ mph is important to me. I did however go with sway bar disconnects. Having them off makes a big difference both on and off road.

Bottom line, I'd try different combinations in the front and find out what works best for your preferences.
My YJ's Rear Track bar is ripped too. I'v been driving without it for almost 2 years. Works fine though & and good to here that its ok to have it off

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lighten up, we are only mess-n with ya. :D Actually, I wasn't sure if you have a YJ or a TJ as I didn't trust the 1995. YJ or TJ makes a World of difference in what the correct answer is. TJ's don't drive so well without trackbars, I have been there and done that :D:D
I think TJ started late 1996 or early 1997?

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
There were no 96 models...last YJ was 95, first TJ was 97.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts