Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how well would a track lock work in my dana 60 front end? are they fairly strong/reliable? i can get one for a good price like 50 bucks. what do you guys think? thanks.

kevin

·
Newb
3,134 Posts
I've got one in the front of my truck (D60 w/44's) and I like it. It pulls good, steers great and I've had no problems with it. It will one wheel when I bind it up but for the most part it works fine.

I know it's not in the same catagory as a Detroit but I knew that when I got it so I have had no disappointments.

With that said, I'm also building a replacement axle that will have a Power Lock. I'm wanting to use the P/L simply because it's tighter and a stronger design.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I decided to go with a track lock since I have drive flanges and do use my blazer to go back and forth to work from time to time. They are basically the lowest on the evolutionary ladder of lockers. They will offer a limited slip but not give you the performance of a true locker like a detroit or an ARB. As for strength issues, I have never heard of one breaking. The clutches will wear out and need to be replaced, but other than that I think they are strong.

I wouldnt recomend one on a serious crawler/trail rig.

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMHO Track-Loc's are cool if all your looking for is a LSD and not a locker. They seem to do well in a mud running or sand type situation but not in a rock crawling conditions.
FWIW- the higher numerical case's have an extra clutch in them for more friction surface area.
They seem to do well in the front axles if a true locker is not needed - No real trouble w/ steering bind or locking hub problems.
$50.00 sounds like a good deal to me.....
HTH , Tom

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how hard would it be to install in my garage? i have above average skills/tools. do you have to pull the gears? i figure for 50 bucks its better than nothing! eventually i'd like an arb though 'cause its my dd. thanks guys.

kevin

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are just going to change carriers you can get away easier than if you swap gears too. Just keep the carrier shims in their correct order when you re install it, then check the backlash and it should be close to if not exactly the same as before you made the carrier swap.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't rely on it going back together the exact same. You have to deal with carrier bearing preload and side to side adjustment.
Look for a back lash reading between 8 to 12 thousands for the 60 and don't forget about the bearing preload.
Good Luck , Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.