Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some axles, and I see a few different ways of stating the width. Do I assume that "width" is the same as "track width" and that both are measured from the disc/drum wheel mounting face?

One guy measured across the hubs. Is that common?

Thanks.

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
Track width is the overall width with the wheels/tires installed. Obviously that can vary greatly with the same axle depending on wheel backspacing. WMS-WMS measurements are the most universally used when talking about actual axle width from what I have seen.
________
ASS OILED

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Track Width is actually defined as the distance from the center of one tire contact patch to the other. It is not the outside to outside distance but many people have screwed up the use of the term to imply such (some people have even written their misuse into rule books).

The track width will depend on the WMS-WMS (wheel mounting surface) and the wheel offset.

To screw it up even more some people measure axles from backing plate flange to backing plate flange.

Most people here list WMS-WMS measurements when they are discussing width, which IMO is the only useful measurement to compare.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:shaking: Ech. looks like I should just wait for something local and go look at it with a tape measure. :laughing:

Thanks.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm looking for some axles, and I see a few different ways of stating the width. Do I assume that "width" is the same as "track width" and that both are measured from the disc/drum wheel mounting face?

One guy measured across the hubs. Is that common?

Thanks.
The measurement from disc/drum mounting face is WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface). This is a standard measurement and different from track width which can vary with tire/wheel packages.

Ask the WMS width and you'll be all set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts